Tile issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tile issues

Ok folks I need some help! I had loose tiles since I purchased my house. I did not really notice it until later so was not able to address the issue during the purchase process. This was 8 + years ago. This past winter some tiles around the loose tiles bowed up. I figured I had foundation issues but came to find out additional tiles just got loose and with some movement the grout caused the tiles to bow up. It is a similar problem to the thread listed below.

Now for the question?? How do I get the the cement off the tiles as about 99% of it stuck to the tiles and not the floor. Here is a pic of one of the tiles. Would soaking the tiles with water help ease with scraping the cement off? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Attached Files

If the floor is like that, youre better off just retiling the whole floor. The rest of the floor is just waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      If the floor is like that, youre better off just retiling the whole floor. The rest of the floor is just waiting to happen.

The loose tiles seemed to be a few. I could hear the hollow sound of a loose tile but could not see, hear or feel movement in them. As the for the rest of the floor around the tiles that bowed up, they seem to be strongly bonded to the floor. But I do fear it's going to keep happening as it appears the floor mught have not been clean properly prior to the original application.

Comment

I had somewhat the same issue, I used a dull chisel and just tapped it. It comes up pretty easy

Comment

Get one of these from Home Depot or Lowes, if you have a 4 1/2" angle grinder.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	24533960
          I bought one to shape some tile, it worked like a champ ... but I don't think I paid that much for mine. For some reason $20-25 sticks in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorBait View Post
            I had somewhat the same issue, I used a dull chisel and just tapped it. It comes up pretty easy
            Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
            Get one of these from Home Depot or Lowes, if you have a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

I bought one to shape some tile, it worked like a champ ... but I don't think I paid that much for mine. For some reason $20-25 sticks in my mind.
            Thanks fellas. Will be trying both of these techniques soon. Anybody else got suggestions??

Comment

Stiff wire wheel on a grinder will also work.

Comment

air chisel

Comment

For the thinset on the floor, Id use a rotary hammer and a chisel bit if you have one.

Comment

Grinder with a diamond blade

Comment

Heard there are some great tile guys in LA.... probably Dodgers fans.
                      Good luck!��

Comment

To remove from tile use an angle grinder with wire wheel. Will look like new

Floor... the same method will work.... but destroy your home. Chisel or hammer drill with blade attached

What is it bonded to? Wood, hardi, concrete?

Comment

Working...
                        X