How quite are suppressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
    You’re asking how quiet (look how that’s spelled) OUR suppressors are. That means you’re asking the wrong question. You’re about to build a Form 1 can. It might suck. That doesn’t mean our suppressors suck. Maybe yours will be good. Who knows.

Every time I hit a hog with my 6.5 Grendel SBR and DeadAir Sandman Ti, I hear a thump like a Louisville slugger smacking a watermelon. It’s “quite” pleasing!!
    I keep tryin to talk myself into changin my 300BO SBR to a Grendel. I got so much into that build, I would like to make it a bit more useful.
    I have a Grendel, but it's a 20", and I suppress it too, but man it would be a lot handier in a 12.5"!

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
      I have a Crux Nemesis and it's quite loud to the point it sucks quite bad!
      6" isn't very much room for expansion of gases. Crux makes awesome stuff, but you will give up some suppression for that small a package.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
        I keep tryin to talk myself into changin my 300BO SBR to a Grendel. I got so much into that build, I would like to make it a bit more useful.
        I have a Grendel, but it's a 20", and I suppress it too, but man it would be a lot handier in a 12.5"!
        Do it bro.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          Do it bro.
          O it's gonna happen. I have a pistol to do 300 with, so plan is to remove the barrel from the SBR and tell the ATF it's getting a change. Would just do a new upper, but I want to use the piston system off of it on the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
            What is the make/model of your suppressor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Crux Saxon 9

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
              I have a Crux Nemesis and it's quite loud to the point it sucks quite bad!
              My crux Saxon 9 is LOUD. I still wear hearing protection when shooting.

Comment

So looking at that chart, I would guess the average is 27-28 ( decipls. Or what ever they call it) less with the cans vs without. How much is 28 ? Is it like some one screaming, or what could we relate 28 too ? I’ve never seen a “ can”, let alone shoot with one. Just curious is all.

Comment

I have 2 YHM cans that both reduce the decibels enough to shoot without hearing protection. Subsonic’s in it are like shooting an air rifle.

The other benefit is the reduction in recoil. My CM has the recoil of a 22/250 with a full load 140gr. bullet.

Comment

I got to hunt hogs with a .300 wm suppressed shot several from a blind I didnt need hearing protection at all they may have been reduced loads not sure but I fell in love .

Comment

Comment

Most full power rifle loads with a can are going to sound somewhere between a 22lr and 22mag. Barrel length, powder volume, and the individual can seem to be the largest variables.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          So looking at that chart, I would guess the average is 27-28 ( decipls. Or what ever they call it) less with the cans vs without. How much is 28 ? Is it like some one screaming, or what could we relate 28 too ? I’ve never seen a “ can”, let alone shoot with one. Just curious is all.
                          That chart is over ten years old. It also does not have anything for tone. The way a suppressor is made makes them sound different, regardless of DB reduction. I hunt predators at night, if my backup SBR is being used by another person. You are not rolling with me with an unsuppresed anything. You can watch my thermal stream on your phone but you will not be blasting my ears...

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                            Ball parking it's like wearing earpro. That does not do them justice though bc the sound is not nearly as sharp.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

It also depends on whether you measure dB from the shooter's ear or from behind the shooter. Most suppressor companies measure from behind the shooter to fudge their numbers. Anything less than 140 dB is considered ear safe according to OSHA.

Still, shooting suppressed is 1000x better than unsuppressed. Expect hearing safe, but don't expect "pew-pew" Hollywood quiet.

Comment

What most people don’t understand is that even with ear muffs on the concussion alone can still have damaging effects on your hearing. A suppressor helps reduce that concussion, and therefore helps more than just muffs. I’m one of the worst about not wearing hearing protection, even for extended range time. I will not shoot around others unsuppressed though. Even “hearing safe” suppressors should still be shot with ear protection. I know I break that rule all the time myself, but it’s still sound advice. I’m just too hard headed to follow it.

Comment

Working...
                                X