Old rechargeable feeder batteries-Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old rechargeable feeder batteries-Questions

We have a feeder "triage" area on our hunting club where we work on and rebuild feeders. After a few years I've now got several dozen 12v and about a dozen 6v discarded rechargeable batteries. These are 1-4 years old. Most won't take a charge and some will charge up enough to spin the motor but are weak and don't stay up more than a week or two.

Do these have any salvage value?
    Are there any issues with disposal?

Put them in plastic bags, take 'em to Home Depot and put in the recycle bin.

Comment

There is a place on HWY 6 at the edge of Alvin and Santa Fe that buys batteries. It is called Eagle Battery I believe. Not sure if they will buy the small batteries or not. My brother took some old car batteries there and got about $10 a piece.

Comment

I just throw them in the trash. Don't think they are worth anything.

Comment

Take them to the scrapyard. They buy gell cells just like they do car batteries.

Comment

Here's the "inventory":
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
              I just throw them in the trash. Don't think they are worth anything.

Do not do this!

They most likely contain nickel cadmium. Take them to a car parts place or a battery plus store and have them recycled properly.

Comment

Most interstate battery locations will give you a 4$ core toward new batteries. And judging from that pile you could walk out with quite a few new batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                  Take them to the scrapyard. They buy gell cells just like they do car batteries.
                  I know ^^^^^^ this to be true from experience. They pay by weight.

Comment

We take ours to a scrap dealer and get cash for them. We test them with an 1134 trailer light bulb with leads soldered to the contacts and a HF voltmeter. A 12v battery with no load should read at least 12.6 volts. When you apply a load with the light bulb the voltage on a good battery should drop no more than two or three tenths of a volt. Anything more and the battery is bad.

Comment

Use the 12 volts for cores to get car or equipment batteries

Comment

Working...
                      X