Video Equipment I Use for Self-Filmed Hunts - TBH Video Journal 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
    I can't say I ever filmed anything in my driveway, but hey you gotta get the footage you need! Lol

My biggest mistake was upgrading to a higher end camera...it was not very compatible with the computer I was using to edit my footage....which was just a Toshiba Satellite and Pinnacle Studio software. Back when Hogdude was still around, he could hunt, film, kill, and edit all in one night and have a fresh YT vid posted for his subscribers ready to view in the morning. It was easy easy.

The new camera had HD footage and it would take me forever to render files, edit, create my movie, etc. My computer would crash halfway through an upload to YT almost every time. That painful editing experience kinda took the wind out of my sails as I'd had it so easy in the past.

I gave my old camera to my Dad and it was stolen...so going back to it wasn't an option.

Anyway, that was kinda the demise of ole Hogdude1234. Haha

I've got a GoPro now, and am filming kill shots, so I guess the fire is starting to rekindle a bit, but I don't see myself going full bore filming everything anytime soon.

Maybe a computer upgrade in the future will have me back in the swing of things.

Keep up the good work!

My computer is the main reason why I never used my cameras to do any film making, it's a Lenovo and it is not the best for video editing. I will use it this season until I can get a MacBook or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
      4K? How do you see what your shot of yourself on the A7 cause the reverse shots look out of focus?

If I'm not mistaken his reverse shot footage is a lower quality that was saved to his phone because something happened with the osmo.

Comment

Thanks for the video. I actually just started looking into using DSLR cameras for video. I'm interested in what you have found you like about using yours VS. like a standard video camera? Also what lens size have you found that seems to work good for 20-30 yards shots? What do you think is a good entry level camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          I can't say I ever filmed anything in my driveway, but hey you gotta get the footage you need! Lol

My biggest mistake was upgrading to a higher end camera...it was not very compatible with the computer I was using to edit my footage....which was just a Toshiba Satellite and Pinnacle Studio software. Back when Hogdude was still around, he could hunt, film, kill, and edit all in one night and have a fresh YT vid posted for his subscribers ready to view in the morning. It was easy easy.

The new camera had HD footage and it would take me forever to render files, edit, create my movie, etc. My computer would crash halfway through an upload to YT almost every time. That painful editing experience kinda took the wind out of my sails as I'd had it so easy in the past.

I gave my old camera to my Dad and it was stolen...so going back to it wasn't an option.

Anyway, that was kinda the demise of ole Hogdude1234. Haha

I've got a GoPro now, and am filming kill shots, so I guess the fire is starting to rekindle a bit, but I don't see myself going full bore filming everything anytime soon.

Maybe a computer upgrade in the future will have me back in the swing of things.

Keep up the good work!
          Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
          My computer is the main reason why I never used my cameras to do any film making, it's a Lenovo and it is not the best for video editing. I will use it this season until I can get a MacBook or something like that.

I ran out of steam for a long time after finishing up the DVD we did in 2006. I lost the desire to edit for a few years, although I still pretty much filmed kill shots with very little b-roll.

Shane's story is why I normally advise against going with 4k. For most, it will require a costly computer upgrade to edit the files, is a processor and storage hog, and most people will never get full use of it for home or YouTube videos. The manufacturers push it as a great feature, but for most it can actually be a detriment.
          4K? How do you see what your shot of yourself on the A7 cause the reverse shots look out of focus?
          As I've mentioned several times, I'm still learning to use the equipment. The Video Journal was pretty much born of me wanting to get familiar and experiment with new equipment.

One of my biggest struggles is filming "selfies" (or first person or "vlog" style) with this A7sii and lens combo. With no articulating LCD (which I mentioned in the vid) the only ways I can see what I'm filming is with an external monitor (not practical for this type of field work) or with the phone ap. I'm trying to utilize that more frequently because of the focus issues you mentioned.

The 24-70 lens is also a contributing factor, IMO, even 24mm is too "long" for handheld "vlog" videos at arm's length, and that probably hampers the auto-focus.

As I mentioned in the video, I want to do a full review of the pros and cons of using the A7sii for self-filmed hunting video. Lack of fully articulating screen is a definite negative.

I started using the Osmo again for much of the first person shots, but it struggles in low light which is when much of the "hunting camp" action occurs.

I do shoot some footage in 4k when I think I may want to reframe in post, but mostly I shoot 1080. I love the high frame rate for slow mo of the shot, which is only available at 1080.
          Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
          If I'm not mistaken his reverse shot footage is a lower quality that was saved to his phone because something happened with the osmo.

I believe he's actually referring to the "selfie" footage from the Sony rather than the reverse angle from the Osmo.

Originally posted by horns07 View Post
          Thanks for the video. I actually just started looking into using DSLR cameras for video. I'm interested in what you have found you like about using yours VS. like a standard video camera? Also what lens size have you found that seems to work good for 20-30 yards shots? What do you think is a good entry level camera?
          DSLR (and mirrorless) poses many challenges, especially for self-filmed hunts. I'm going to do a separate video on choosing the most important features for self filming hunts. DSLR vs camcorder and importance (or lack thereof) of 4K vs 1080 are definite talking points.

As for lenses, I think 70-200 is good for bowhunting ranges (20-30 yards). Inside of 20, you can get away with a little shorter (especially on cropped sensors) but outside of about 50 yards even the 200mm starts feeling a little short.

Thanks for all the comments and questions! Keep them coming...They give me additional ideas for content!
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

DSLR (and mirrorless) poses many challenges, especially for self-filmed hunts. I'm going to do a separate video on choosing the most important features for self filming hunts. DSLR vs camcorder and importance (or lack thereof) of 4K vs 1080 are definite talking points.

As for lenses, I think 70-200 is good for bowhunting ranges (20-30 yards). Inside of 20, you can get away with a little shorter (especially on cropped sensors) but outside of about 50 yards even the 200mm starts feeling a little short.

Thanks for all the comments and questions! Keep them coming...They give me additional ideas for content! [/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will be looking forward to that video

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and questions! Keep them coming...They give me additional ideas for content!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.[/QUOTE]

No not yet. I just started doing a little research on them. And trying to figure out what all will be needed. I like the versatility in using a DSLR VS. a standard video camera.

Comment

I'd look at an 18mm or even a 14mm lens that is fairly fast like a 1.8f. These will allow you to film "arms length". The other thing to consider is getting away from auto focus/app settings on your cam. Get a manual lens and use the focus assist and then you'll be much happier with the results. The problem with 4k or even 2k is the sharpness that these cameras want. If you don't reach that then your image will suffer.

I just finished filming for a week with a high end show that we used the A7Sii and the gh4. I have to say the GH4 is much much better quality image. HOwever the A7 is much better at low light. But do you really need to film after dusk on a hunting show? If thats the case go buy Thermal. I'd set up lens on one camera for grab and go and then set up the other camera with different len. Also, look into some older Nikon glass, you will find some amazing glass for half the price.

Comment

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.

No not yet. I just started doing a little research on them. And trying to figure out what all will be needed. I like the versatility in using a DSLR VS. a standard video camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

If you can set up a dslr with a shoulder rig and have someone shoot with you then they are fine in the field. But if you're doing the solo thing get a JVC, Panasonic or if you have too Sony Camcorder. They usually have a sturdy handle on top, xlr inputs for your lav, setting for diff scenes and are easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.[/QUOTE]

DSLR is for when you have TIME to set up for a shot.

Comment

I'd look at an 18mm or even a 14mm lens that is fairly fast like a 1.8f. These will allow you to film "arms length". The other thing to consider is getting away from auto focus/app settings on your cam. Get a manual lens and use the focus assist and then you'll be much happier with the results. The problem with 4k or even 2k is the sharpness that these cameras want. If you don't reach that then your image will suffer.

I just finished filming for a week with a high end show that we used the A7Sii and the gh4. I have to say the GH4 is much much better quality image. HOwever the A7 is much better at low light. But do you really need to film after dusk on a hunting show? If thats the case go buy Thermal. I'd set up lens on one camera for grab and go and then set up the other camera with different len. Also, look into some older Nikon glass, you will find some amazing glass for half the price.

Good stuff!

I shoot manual focus for everything except the first person stuff. I definitely need a wide angle for that, and manual legacy lens is probably a good option. I have a couple of Minolta MD lenses (35/2.8, 50/1.7) that I use on occasion, but of course they don't help with shooting ultra wide.

I considered the GH4 long before I opted for the Sony. From the reviews I've seen, better image quality is debatable, but the GH4 is abhorrent in low light (unusable beyond 6400 ISO). The low light capability, 120fps at 1080, full frame 4K (GH4 is 2.3x crop) when needed, ability to adapt my Canon glass and legacy lenses, and exceptional dynamic range was enough to push me to the Sony platform (although I'm hoping they fix some deficiencies in future iterations.) It was the low light capability that attracted me to the A7s, but it is far from a one trick pony (as would be a Thermal). Much of the camp "scenes" are shot in very low light environments. For my requirements, I think the A7sii, all factors considered, is a superior camera to the GH4 (or even the newly released 5D mkiv).

The key consideration for me (and most of my "audience" here) is that I'm not producing a "high end" hunting show, but rather mostly YouTube and web content in more of a run and gun, self filmed in a "vlog" or documentary style. It's mostly unscripted with a goal of reality and spontaneity over a scripted, overly produced story that is often more staged than developed naturally (and frequently produced more for advertisers than for consumers.)

In Video Journal videos, like the "Hunting Camp" series, taking time to set up would (more often than not) mean missing the moment. That said, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, and hopefully continuing to improve. I'm no expert, just a student that enjoys the learning labs!

Thanks for your input and feedback!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

BTW, I do have/rent/use lights, stands, rigs, jibs, dollies, etc. for occasional freelance customer work where a more professionally produced product is the goal. I didn't invest a "few" thousand dollars in equipment SOLELY for uncompensated YouTube vids (although I did earn $0.09 in December!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Another great vid Michael! I'm going to get me one of those OSMO camera setups. I got a lot of good reverse angle footage the past 2 seasons, but this would make it much easier and better.

Comment

The reason I'm sold on a DSLR so much is for the versatility. I really don't want to haul 2 cameras around while hunting. One to take pictures the other to video with. Most of my hunts will be either with someone or setup in a blind. So set up I don't think will be a problem. I should also say I'm like Michael all my stuff will be for my enjoyment and some YouTube stuff.

So for the big question if you had 1000-1200 to spend on a setup what would it be? I know that's not a lot for a good camera setup but it's what I will be working with. I've been looking at the Nikon 5600. But I'll be honest I'm not real familiar with the DSLR setup and what all you need to look for in a camera. This will be a learning step. Thanks for y alls help.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                Good stuff!

I shoot manual focus for everything except the first person stuff. I definitely need a wide angle for that, and manual legacy lens is probably a good option. I have a couple of Minolta MD lenses (35/2.8, 50/1.7) that I use on occasion, but of course they don't help with shooting ultra wide.

I considered the GH4 long before I opted for the Sony. From the reviews I've seen, better image quality is debatable, but the GH4 is abhorrent in low light (unusable beyond 6400 ISO). The low light capability, 120fps at 1080, full frame 4K (GH4 is 2.3x crop) when needed, ability to adapt my Canon glass and legacy lenses, and exceptional dynamic range was enough to push me to the Sony platform (although I'm hoping they fix some deficiencies in future iterations.) It was the low light capability that attracted me to the A7s, but it is far from a one trick pony (as would be a Thermal). Much of the camp "scenes" are shot in very low light environments. For my requirements, I think the A7sii, all factors considered, is a superior camera to the GH4 (or even the newly released 5D mkiv).

The key consideration for me (and most of my "audience" here) is that I'm not producing a "high end" hunting show, but rather mostly YouTube and web content in more of a run and gun, self filmed in a "vlog" or documentary style. It's mostly unscripted with a goal of reality and spontaneity over a scripted, overly produced story that is often more staged than developed naturally (and frequently produced more for advertisers than for consumers.)

In Video Journal videos, like the "Hunting Camp" series, taking time to set up would (more often than not) mean missing the moment. That said, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, and hopefully continuing to improve. I'm no expert, just a student that enjoys the learning labs!

Thanks for your input and feedback!
                                The other cool thing about shooting in 4k that people forget about is the ability to "punch in". Taking footage into an editor and zooming in on your video is doable in 4k not so much in 1080. That is if you do any post to your vids.

Comment

Working...
                                X