Why go to the ER with flu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why go to the ER with flu?

I spent the day with my wife in the ER and I was wondering why so many people go to the ER with the flu symptoms. I understand if you are old or immune compromised, but why do so many people use the ER instead of their normal doctor or a minor emergency clinic?

I was afraid we were going to get sick while we were there.

Most do so, Because payment is not due at time of service. The world we live in.

Comment

Technically you really shouldn't urgent care is much better
      Lots of people are just plain stupid and some are insurance challenged

Comment

The majority of cases seen in an ER are far an emergency. Some people will even treat the ER as their primary physician. You would be amazed at some of the, putting politely, mild conditions we see at an ER or even people calling 911 requesting an ambulance. I’ve transported people to the hospital by ambulance for things as simple as a cough, nausea without vomiting, and one really special case of just not feeling well. It ties up resources that could be put to good use elsewhere and costs a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
          Most do so, Because payment is not due at time of service. The world we live in.
          yuuuup .......lots of people don't have a PCP, they go to the ER and use their medical card provided by the Gov't

Comment

as many people that have already died this year from the flu I don't blame them at all.

Comment

We stopped accepting doctors notes at work because folks would go to the er weekly to get a note for missing work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don't have insurance you go to the ER. Even if your not a US citizen, or can't pay. They will provide care

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                  This. Not having to pay is the only reason.

Comment

because it's freeeeeeeeeeee!
                    for them that is.

Comment

They asked me for $3554.

I guess I paid for them too.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        This. Not having to pay is the only reason.

I wouldn’t say it’s the only reason. A couple others that come to mind:

-There aren’t urgent care clinics in every corner of Texas
                        -Primary care physicians aren’t always open on the weekends
                        -Sometimes you’re just really dang sick

However I too have experienced the waiting rooms filled with the uninsured and it sure is a pain in the neck. Coming from a small town growing up, I never knew there was a difference between urgent care and an emergency room. Don’t think I ever even saw an urgent care center until I got to college. Now that I know the difference, from experience, I can’t imagine a reason to ever even go to an emergency room, if there are other options like urgent care available.

Comment

Just spent a week in the hospital with my daughter that has the flu and rsv. The triage nurse was so frustrated with the people there that had the flu. Every nday you could watch the ER fill up with flu patients. I couldn’t have that job. I would definitely snap this flu season.

Comment

Another reason, is you call your Doctors office, and the say they can see you on Tuesday 3 weeks from now. They don't seem to be geared to see people who need them now. If you go the that urgent care clinic, they possibly don't even have a MD there, you see a PA.

I have been to the emergency room 2 times in the last 2 years, once with extreme dehydration, and once with a bad nosebleed (no kidding it wouldn't stop, looked like I gutted a deer on the ground by where the car was parked, had to get 2 units of blood afterwards). Each time the waiting room was full, and I went right in due to I needed to be seen first. Also went to ER once in an ambulance when I broke my femur, they use a different entrance, We had called doc beforehand and they were waiting on me. Trauma, so no waiting.

Comment

Instant gratifiction..
                              For a doctor you have to have an appointment, sometimes this takes a couple days

ER you'll be seen (eventually), if you tell the dr. you just can't wait due to your illness they're not going to inconvenience themselves but refer you to the emergency room

Comment

Working...
                              X