Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grayson County & Crossbows

I just read this on the TP&W website:

Any person, regardless of physical ability, may use a crossbow during the general season in Grayson County (Nov. 7-Jan. 3).

They won't let you use one during "archery season" unless your handicapped in some way but after that you can. That's AWESOME! Grayson is so much closer!

That's what I don't understand about this new law.

If they consider crossbows "archery gear" now, then how come you still can't use it in the "Archery ONLY" season in Grayson.

Been wondering that since all of this come out. It's not going to affect me, but I'm just curious and cannot get anyone to answer that question.

Comment

It has always been that way, last year you could use a crossbow in grayson county during general season. The crossbow regulations changed in all the other counties this year, but graysons have stayed the same.

Comment

and just in case you're planning to only hunt with a crossbow during general season in grayson, don't forget you still need the archery stamp. i'm not complaining, just thought it was kind of odd

Comment

That is odd now that you say it boomerball.

Comment

Whats good for one is not good for all. Go figure, must be a lil clicke there that is with TP&W dept.

Comment

Yeah like most of the residents of the county. They actually turned out in massive numbers to keep the regulation in that county in place, and since the largest hunting area is Federal property, they can make the rules any way they want, regardless of State regulations. So why change it for the county, when the huntable population is concentrated to a specific region of the county?? It benefits no one really to change just because.

Comment

Originally posted by HandiKap Bowhunter View Post
                Whats good for one is not good for all. Go figure, must be a lil clicke there that is with TP&W dept.
                LOL. How ironic this post is....

Comment

Good for Grayson County IMO

Comment

Regardless of what side of the Crossbow issue you fall, there is a bit (a lot?) of hypocricy in not allowing crossbows in October in Grayson County.

That said, let's not beat the Crossbow horse (or the Grayson horse) in this discussion.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

I would like to hear an answer as well from TP+W as to why its not archery gear for one county but it is for the rest of the state

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Regardless of what side of the Crossbow issue you fall, there is a bit (a lot?) of hypocricy in not allowing crossbows in October in Grayson County.

That said, let's not beat the Crossbow horse (or the Grayson horse) in this discussion.

Amusing to say the least..

Comment

Is it because as stated above that the largest hunting area in grayson county is federal? Bowhuntntxn must mean that there is more federal acres then non-federal in grayson...is that right?

Comment

no. i mean that the Hagerman refuge hold the largest population deer in the county, and that place and the surrounding properties are where EVERYONE wants to hunt. And since the H is a federal property, the Feds dictate the authorized weapons, regardless of what the state says. So in my opinion, the feds went to the state and told them that no matter what the new regs would be, they are staying vertical bow only. And they probably suggested keeping the entire county Xbow free to keep it consistent. This might have been done to keep the poaching from the refuge down, or for safety concerns with hunters on the refuge. No one will ever know for sure except the people who made the final decision, and I dont think they are gonna tell anytime soon. There could have even been an input or 2 from the GWs that are assigned to Grayson county for a host of reasons not to change the regs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              LOL. How ironic this post is....
                              Glad someone got it

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                              no. i mean that the Hagerman refuge hold the largest population deer in the county, and that place and the surrounding properties are where EVERYONE wants to hunt. And since the H is a federal property, the Feds dictate the authorized weapons, regardless of what the state says. So in my opinion, the feds went to the state and told them that no matter what the new regs would be, they are staying vertical bow only. And they probably suggested keeping the entire county Xbow free to keep it consistent. This might have been done to keep the poaching from the refuge down, or for safety concerns with hunters on the refuge. No one will ever know for sure except the people who made the final decision, and I dont think they are gonna tell anytime soon. There could have even been an input or 2 from the GWs that are assigned to Grayson county for a host of reasons not to change the regs.
                              I understand that also, was not thinking about the H being run by the feds

Comment

Working...
                              X