X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWHACKER broadheads Illegal in Tx

I found this interesting in the TP&W regulation book

Projectiles (Arrows and Crossbow Bolts)
    • While hunting game animals and game birds, a projectile may not be poisoned, drugged, or explosive.
    • When used to hunt turkey and all game animals other than squirrels, a projectile must be equipped
    with a broadhead hunting point that is at least 7/8-inch in width (upon impact) and has a minimum of
    two cutting edges. A mechanical broadhead must begin to open upon impact and, when open, must
    be a minimum of 7/8-inch in width.
    • An archer may have arrows/bolts with field, target, or judo points in the quiver with the broadhead
    hunting points

The Shwackers do not open till after they enter so because of the " 7/8-inch in width (upon impact)" and "mechanical broadhead must begin to open upon impact " it seems they are illegal

dont really care for the looks of them anyway..

Comment

I think your splitting hairs. I think law is written so people don't shoot deer with a field points. If this is the case then most Mechanicals would be illegal because most tips enter before the blades are deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        I think your splitting hairs. I think law is written so people don't shoot deer with a field points. If this is the case then most Mechanicals would be illegal because most tips enter before the blades are deployed.
        Actually very few enter before they deploy, most deploy as they enter

Comment

Never heard of Swhacker BHs,you got a pic?

DJ

Comment

You should never use a mechanical in a crossbow anyway.

Comment

I look at it this way, If you use the SWHACKER broadhead and shoot a deer at a hard quartering angle, the the blade will begin to open on impact and therefore it is legal.

Comment

Is this a fact or your your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                  You should never use a mechanical in a crossbow anyway.
                  And behind a high fence.

>E

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                    Is this a fact or your your opinion

It's my opinion but it is a fact that the blade would begin to open on impact at a hard quartering angle so if I got a ticket for using that broadhead I would fight it to the end. Besides, what is considered on impact because the Rage doesn't open until after the tip has penetrated on a broadside shot.

By the way, I would never use the swhacker because it leaves a entrance hole the size of your arrow.

Comment

It's my opinion but it is a fact that the blade would begin to open on impact at a hard quartering angle so if I got a ticket for using that broadhead I would fight it to the end. Besides, what is considered on impact because the Rage doesn't open until after the tip has penetrated on a broadside shot.

By the way, I would never use the swhacker because it leaves a entrance hole the size of your arrow.
                      Sorry I was asking Javelin if he saw this somewhere or it was his opinion it was illegal.

Comment

I

Why? The 2.25" blades coming in behind it won't open up a larger hole?

Comment

i believe these heads would be legal. they start to open upon impact plus that are already 7/8 cut in flight.

and the crossbow guys seem to like it....

dont know why i thought of travis when i saw this sight. i wonder if they have any compond bows for sale at that sight?

Comment

Oh well.

Comment

stick with the muzzy mx-4

Comment

Working...
                              X