Duck Boat Sinking in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Boat Sinking in Missouri

I am in Springfield, MO right now and the storm we had last night was violent. Not the kind of Thunderstorm I am used to in East Texas. I can vouch for the fact that it came out of nowhere. Sunny and still one minute this thing hits 20 minutes later.

These poor folks were caught out in the lake in ROUGH water and high winds.

Really sad! Huge lake so I can imagine how it could turn really bad. Prayers for everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Those things are dangerous, they had 13 die in Arkansas when one sank. Prayers up

Comment

Terrible.

Comment

Very Sad. I've never been on one but I would assume they have to have life jackets

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
            Those things are dangerous, they had 13 die in Arkansas when one sank. Prayers up
            5 died in Seattle a few years ago also. During WWII lots of men never got to the beach due to sinking from waves. Yes, life best are on board. I wonder if they had time or captain did not tell passengers to prepare?

Comment

Those things are a death trap if they go down. Life jacket won’t help you one bit if you can’t get out.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                Those things are a death trap if they go down. Life jacket won’t help you one bit if you can’t get out.
                No escape hatch? or windows? The ones I see on Town lake are open

Comment

After seeing the video of it in the lake, it is my belief the captain should have seen it coming

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    After seeing the video of it in the lake, it is my belief the captain should have seen it coming
                    Agreed. Looked like there was time to put on PFD’s and get off the boat.

Comment

Just rode in one a couple months back. They feel very top heavy, being an avid boater I was even nervous on it in smooth water.

Life jackets are strapped to the ceiling, in the event of it capsizing there would be no time to grab one and put it on, even if you did the life jacket would probably keep you trapped inside the boat.

Very sad to hear

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        The storm formed out of nowhere. I could easily see them slowly jugging along smooth waters and then all the sudden the wind picks up and your in 4 foot white cap mess. Poor boat captain (DRIVER) probably could not get off the lake in time when he realized a storm was forming. Maybe I am wrong though, but that is my two cents.
                        Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                          5 died in Seattle a few years ago also. During WWII lots of men never got to the beach due to sinking from waves. Yes, life best are on board. I wonder if they had time or captain did not tell passengers to prepare?

This. Those things have been death traps from the very beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                            The storm formed out of nowhere. I could easily see them slowly jugging along and then all the sudden the wind picked up and your in 5 foot white cap mess. Poor boat captain (DRIVER) probably could not get off the lake in time when he realized a storm was forming. Maybe I am wrong though, but that is my two cents.
                            We talked about that very thing this morning. As someone who's been in and around boats for 40+ years storms can come out of nowhere. I have experienced it several times. Had a windshield sheared off a bass boat when we shoveled a wave on Conroe once in one.

That being said, IMO it's obvious the boat/truck is taking on water in the video. I hate to armchair the captain but he should have felt the boat changing and at least got the passengers out or in pfds

Comment

Feel horrible for those Families ...

Comment

Working...
                              X