My E. Texas 2018 buck “ new kid in the block”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My E. Texas 2018 buck “ new kid in the block”

A good friend of mine and I acquired a small property this year to tinker with. It’s super close to my house (about 2.5 miles) and 98% wooded.... and thick.... and wet. We designed 5 fall plots and 3 summer plots that did well until July before burning up from drought. Fall plots look great and are being used quite a bit although we have a lower deer herd average we have a good age structure with several mature bucks. Main problem as with most east Texas land is surrounded pressure. One year around thanksgiving I counted over 20 rifle hunters in a 1.5 mile square. And being so fragmented meant nobody “keeps” deer.

Being first year I had no idea what to expect. I knew all neighbors and knew none hunted be any means but whatever feeder was on sale at Walmart and they start feeding about October. So I felt our planting and low pressure approaches would serve well.... then the fly by night oil company moved in and all went to &$&%. Plots destroyed, roads destroyed, feeders and stands relocated. It was a kick in the junk. The deer we were finally drawing were scattered like a covey if quail. In fact I hadn’t seen a deer with my own eyes since mid September. But cameras were showing some awesome bucks weekly... but all night pics. ............

My records and notes said November 10-11 SHOULD be the magic days and just so happens a front mores in! I knew where I wanted to be but knew wind would be wrong so I needed a plan. Entry was easy but trees were small and a ladder wouldn’t work nor a climber. So I went back to my roots and used climbing spikes and a loc in and got in the perfect spot! I hunted 16 hours those 2 days and I saw 1 squirrel. That was the only fur covered animal seen! All friends and neighbors were seeing deer and shooting some nice ones but I was blanked time and time again.

Monday the wind was just too much but I saw a break coming for Tuesday evening so I planned to go again. That’s when all cameras failed... I was going in blind. Really what I needed, I had tried to overthink these deer thinking I could force something, when all I had to do was have faith I was in the right place and it would happen sooner or later (funny how that works in most aspects of life). I worked through the mid day “lunch time” to get things at a stopping point and showered and grabbed clothes bag and headed to stand. I flipped the script and parked at an oil well and walked in quite as a mouse to base of tree staying out of sight of the plots. At base of tree I added finale layer of fleece as a few snow flakes fell and spiked up tree. Crickets......

At 4:43 my hands were finally cold enough to need gloves. I hate shooting with gloves but had been shooting every day with them in anticipation of this day. Once I put them on and adjust release I wanted to draw bow to make sure all felt right. I grabbed bow, hooked release and started to draw, when like a script this buck walked through a coral fence grown in the brush straight into a shooting lane at 18 yards! I knew he had g4’s In the 10 sec I seen him and figured it was the slick 10 I had had on camera and was the one I wasn’t passing but not the biggest. Since 1/2 dozen around me had the biggest on their camera I knew I was going with the rule of bird in hand. As soon as he hit shooting lane the stopped broadside and the slicktrick mag ate his lunch. Within 2 bounces blood was pouring down leg!!!

Comment

It has been 6 years since my last east Texas buck, I never heard him fall but knew he wasn’t going to carry that shot far and the emotions hit. I love this sport and thank God for still being able bodied enough to enjoy the challenge. I text my hunting partner and told him meet me after work. I wanted to give an hour and no need for me looking anyway I wouldn’t be able to drag it or get arc to it. An hour later we took up a trail that looked like a horror movie. And 80 yards later my first deer off new project property was in possession!......... but it wasn’t the buck I thought! Main frame 10 with 2” kicker of brow and a 4” fork on g2!.. BONUS! after text to all neighbors that I knew would have cameras no a soul had ever seen him

Comment

The “new kid on the block” milliseconds before impact. The red circle is the bottom of my boots.
        His first and only trail cam pic. Doe were there 4 hrs earlier
        Attached Files

Comment

6 year E Texas drought ends
          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome congrats! Pics

Comment

Side view
              Attached Files

Comment

Can see pic now, TOAD

Comment

... and a tailgate pic for the masses
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great buck again!!

Comment

Congrats man stud of a buck

Comment

Great deer and shot as well. Congrats

Comment

**** nice buck! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats. Great write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that's awesome! we had a bad year last year hunting central Texas for the first time in years since we lost our west Texas property. That there sir is a STUD! Congrats sounds like it was a buck well earned!!

Comment

Working...
                              X