Muzzleloaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloaders?

So seeing favorable draw odds for muzzleloader tags in a lot of states/units I enjoy hunting out west. I’m thinking about picking one up and learning it but have no clue about what’s a good brand or any knowledge about them. Who can give me some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen a number of threads on here about them. You may want to search them. There was some good info on some of them.

Comment

anything TC.

Comment

Be sure to research what is legal in each state as they all have different interpretations of what is a muzzleloader as well as what you can mount load etc. Colorado in particular has some wierd rules.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Ryan

you need to first decide which States you plan to hunt and what restrictions they have on ML's. Some States only allow primitive, some blackpowder, some smokeless, and others forbid modern inline. Once you know the rules and regs, then start researching the best ML's available based on your wallet.

You can buy a 500 yard, bad-arse $2500 ML, but would be SOL if the State drawn doesn't allow it.

http://ultimatefirearms.com/modelsprices.php

http://ultimatefirearms.com/pdfs/pre...ting102011.pdf

Comment

Long Range Muzzleloader

The Johnston Muzzleloader (BP Xpress) is second to none in accuracy and long range capability. It is the only muzzleloading rifle on the market that can be fired and burn 200 grains of Pyrodex Pellets (four 50 grain pellets).

I run 225 grains of 2F in my October Country so they might want to redo their info.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	24547111

Comment

I recently bought a Knight Ultra Light. If you buy the western edition it comes with open sights and everything you need to be legal in all states. It is already tapped so you can install a scope if you are hunting in a state that allows them. Another cool thing is you can order a conversion kit so you can shoot 209 primers and BH209 powder.

I have been playing with mine shooting 115 grains of BH 209 and 300 grain Hornady XTP bullets. Its chronographing at 1990fps and has a 12 MOA drop at 300 yards.
              Last edited by JTCowpoke; 07-26-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

guy we elk hunt with bought me and my dad one for Christmas a few years back. haven't drawn out yet. Colorado has to be a traditional muzzle loader everything loaded from the end and open sights. Hawkins style percussion cap

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  Long Range Muzzleloader

The Johnston Muzzleloader (BP Xpress) is second to none in accuracy and long range capability. It is the only muzzleloading rifle on the market that can be fired and burn 200 grains of Pyrodex Pellets (four 50 grain pellets).

I run 225 grains of 2F in my October Country so they might want to redo their info.
                  [ATTACH]917243[/ATTACH]
                  And I am still first in line for that rifle when every you decide to sell it!

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                    anything TC.
                    This

I have kilt deer with a Hawkins and a TC pro hunter. No scope on either and i only shoot 100 grains of pyro or powder. But I'm not shooting past 100 yards

Comment

Originally posted by Rcm View Post
                      guy we elk hunt with bought me and my dad one for Christmas a few years back. haven't drawn out yet. Colorado has to be a traditional muzzle loader everything loaded from the end and open sights. Hawkins style percussion cap
                      Inlines were approved this year, but pellets and scopes are still prohibited.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've killed a truckload of deer with my Hawken, and a few with my TC Pro Hunter.

Comment

States have weird rules about muzzleloaders, but are rapidly changing them to keep up with improvements in many areas.

AFAIK, an in-line shooting Blackhorn 209 powder with a 209 shotgun primer and a Barnes/Thor 300 gr conical copper bullet with open sights is legal everywhere but Idaho and Oregon. They still require a percussion cap that is open to the elements, but hopefully won’t for long. CVA does make a “northwest legal” ignition conversion kit for around $25.

I bought a CVA Wolf stainless and added an EABCO peep rib sight/scope mount. I have a Leupold 2-7x33in QR rings, so I can run or ditch the scope easily, using the same setup almost everywhere.
                          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 08-05-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I have a CVA Acurra stainless I bought for the very reason the OP asked. It shoots 1MOA at 100 yards with 100gr IMR White Hot and Power Belts (224 gr. I believe). I have been using standard Remington 209 muzzleloader primers. I have a Leopoldo Ultimate Slam 3X9 sitting on top of it.

I have taken multiple deer with neck shots with it out to 100 Yards.

Needless to say, 8 like it.

Comment

I’m with Cajun Blake on this one. Muzzleloaders have come a long way, and shoot as good as some rifles now a days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X