Covert solar panel + enloops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks coverts solar panel sucks for mounting?

I could see if I had a flat surface to mount it on, but mount/zip tying it to a tree is difficult to get it to face the sun if there isn’t a horizontal branch close enough that the cord will reach.

Granted, during deer season, my cameras/panels move a lot since we are hunting trails. If they stayed at a feeder, I could make something to mount them on. However, if I want to put the camera on a big oak tree, I can’t do anything but hang the solar panel on the tree and hope for the best.

My old moultrie panels mount to a bracket that I could strap to a tree and manipulate the bracket. Maybe I need to fabricate something similar that I can strap the covert panel to.

Unless y’all have a better idea...
    Here is a pic of mine that has been going for a few years.
    The only thing I changed recently is I made the antenna no longer go through the top holding solar panel in place. I just ran a zip tie through. It became a pain in the butt to open up the camera when the antenna was though the top. It did not change my reception at all when I turned the antenna sideways. The most important factor I found on the setups is trying to secure the power cable that goes into the bottom of the camera so that it does not get detached when you are gone. I use bailing wire and zip ties.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	XCzjJ24D-25921590.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	24543762

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Their panel, 12 rechargeables in the camera and done. Why would you wanna mess with another external component that’s not necessary? All 3 of mine are running this way up to 1.5 years without touching it.
      are you able to run yours in real-time?

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
        Here is a pic of mine that has been going for a few years.
        The only thing I changed recently is I made the antenna no longer go through the top holding solar panel in place. I just ran a zip tie through. It became a pain in the butt to open up the camera when the antenna was though the top. It did not change my reception at all when I turned the antenna sideways. The most important factor I found on the setups is trying to secure the power cable that goes into the bottom of the camera so that it does not get detached when you are gone. I use bailing wire and zip ties.
        [ATTACH]913840[/ATTACH]
        I need to try this set up

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
          are you able to run yours in real-time?
          I'm running the same setup as Fishndude and have had the same great results. Mine have been running well over a year without me touching them. Yes, mine run on realtime.

As for mounting the panel, all of my cameras are on T-Posts with T-Mates and I mount the solar panel on the post, just above the camera, facing south at about a 45 degree angle. I wire the top of the panel directly to the post and then I find a stick to wire to the bottom of the panel and the post to create the angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
            I'm running the same setup as Fishndude and have had the same great results. Mine have been running well over a year without me touching them. Yes, mine run on realtime.

As for mounting the panel, all of my cameras are on T-Posts with T-Mates and I mount the solar panel on the post, just above the camera, facing south at about a 45 degree angle. I wire the top of the panel directly to the post and then I find a stick to wire to the bottom of the panel and the post to create the angle.
            I have mine pointed south on a 45. I started it out on real time with no timers and it constantly drained the battery. Now I have it on 24hr delay and its off from 10am to 5pm and its staying on 60%

Comment

I have mine pointed south on a 45. I started it out on real time with no timers and it constantly drained the battery. Now I have it on 24hr delay and its off from 10am to 5pm and its staying on 60%
              And your using eneloop batteries or some other AA with an aMh rating > 2000?

I don't get too concerned over what percentage mine shows, as long as it stays charged enough to keep sending pics.

The only other thing that I can think of is your signal strength. Are you using a booster antennae? If you don't have a good enough signal, the camera is always struggling to obtain signal and that will eat up battery life.

Comment

And your using eneloop batteries or some other AA with an aMh rating > 2000?

I don't get too concerned over what percentage mine shows, as long as it stays charged enough to keep sending pics.

The only other thing that I can think of is your signal strength. Are you using a booster antennae? If you don't have a good enough signal, the camera is always struggling to obtain signal and that will eat up battery life.
                I'm using amazon basics on Smarts recommendation. signal level at 60% from the last pic taken at 9:40 this morning.

Comment

I'm using amazon basics on Smarts recommendation. signal level at 60% from the last pic taken at 9:40 this morning.
                  I'm using Amazon basics on several cameras and all have been good. My battery level tends to be at it's highest late afternoon (camera has been charging all day and not taking pics) and at it's lowest first thing in the morning (camera has been taking pics all night but unable to recharge due to darkness.)

Between a friend and I, we are running 20 Coverts. For whatever reason, some cameras seem to fluctuate more on battery strength than others. Generally speaking, they average between 40% - 80%. I don't get concerned unless I see consecutive days where strength is below 40%. And that hasn't happened since going to the Covert panel and Amazon Basic or Eneloop batteries. Occasionally I'l have a few days without much sunlight and a camera might get down to 20-30% by dawn. But it still recharges enough during the day to get back up to 60-70%.

Comment

Think of it like your car battery. It might run average a 70% charge it's whole life. But as long as it is taking a charge and has enough amps to turn over the starter, all is good.

Comment

I'm using Amazon basics on several cameras and all have been good. My battery level tends to be at it's highest late afternoon (camera has been charging all day and not taking pics) and at it's lowest first thing in the morning (camera has been taking pics all night but unable to recharge due to darkness.)

Between a friend and I, we are running 20 Coverts. For whatever reason, some cameras seem to fluctuate more on battery strength than others. Generally speaking, they average between 40% - 80%. I don't get concerned unless I see consecutive days where strength is below 40%. And that hasn't happened since going to the Covert panel and Amazon Basic or Eneloop batteries. Occasionally I'l have a few days without much sunlight and a camera might get down to 20-30% by dawn. But it still recharges enough during the day to get back up to 60-70%.
                      yeah I'm at a loss. Its working out for me ok right now. During the season ill turn on real time and turn off the timers as ill be on the property a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I had my covert panel hanging vertical via zipties from a tpost for a few months and it caught plenty of sun... it’s now flat laying on the roof after I built a box to protect the camera better...1.5 years later still going strong.

How high is your post set? I’m setting up two cameras similar to this is north west Oklahoma. I haven’t been worried about direct sun on the cameras down here in east Texas but I’m thinking it will help out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                          Am I the only one that thinks coverts solar panel sucks for mounting?

I could see if I had a flat surface to mount it on, but mount/zip tying it to a tree is difficult to get it to face the sun if there isn’t a horizontal branch close enough that the cord will reach.

Granted, during deer season, my cameras/panels move a lot since we are hunting trails. If they stayed at a feeder, I could make something to mount them on. However, if I want to put the camera on a big oak tree, I can’t do anything but hang the solar panel on the tree and hope for the best.

My old moultrie panels mount to a bracket that I could strap to a tree and manipulate the bracket. Maybe I need to fabricate something similar that I can strap the covert panel to.

Unless y’all have a better idea...

It’s not that difficult. If you actually need it to be portable just buy some of those cheap tree stand hooks to screw it into the tree and hang it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Covert solar panel + enloops

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                            How high is your post set? I’m setting up two cameras similar to this is north west Oklahoma. I haven’t been worried about direct sun on the cameras down here in east Texas but I’m thinking it will help out there.

My post? The top of the box that panel sits on is about 40” off the ground? The actual post it’s mounted to is 17’ with my extended antenna at the top because I have such poor signal in the hole my blind is in. Had to go up to grab it.

Last edited by Smart; 07-03-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              My post? The top of the box that panel sits on is about 40” off the ground? The actual post it’s mounted to is 17’ with my extended antenna at the top because I have such poor signal in the hole my blind is in. Had to go up to grab it.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks. I’ll probably set a wooden post and build the box ahead of time. We have cell signal there while hunting so I’m hoping I don’t have to manufacture something similar for the long range antenna.

Comment

2018 Code Black LTE Setup

Got mine activated and sending pics yesterday. Noticed a few discrepancies. Called Covert this morning and girl was no help. Hope I dont regret this decision. I have had zero problems with my Spartan.

1. During activation camera came up as Code Black 12.1. Is this normal?

2. Camera shows up as Code Black 12.1 on app and website. Normal?

3. Camera is set to trigger on PIR ONLY. Time Lapse is OFF. I uploaded the settings to the website/app. App and website show PIR as the trigger mode. But both show Time Lapse is ON with 4 minute Time Lapse Interval. I turn Time Lapse OFF and save on app/website, but Settings default back to ON after I log out. Is this normal?

4. There is no PIR Trigger Delay shown on the app. Is this normal?

5. Battery charge indicator shows 50% on camera.
                                App shows 100%
                                Website shows 60%
                                Is this normal?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X