Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have to identify yourself anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone can ask to see your ID, but only under certain circumstances do you have to comply. I can walk up and ask you as well but doesn't mean you have to dig out your ID. PO has the same right to ask as I do, freedom of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack S. View Post
      I get that some cops won't grab guns but many would do such a thing, I understand good cops are out there but even in history it shows you cannot fully trust them example is Nazi Germany when the sort of police force dragged Jews away and confiscated guns and killed Jews, I would rather have my rights and not compromise, start compromising and that's how they go away
      Comparing me and my brothers to Nazi Germany........you just lost alot of credibility with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bro. Bill View Post
        Great job Leo
        Good video. What we could encounter every day. Officers did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          Let me clarify...My son has complimented folks good driving when not in uniform. Out shopping and he saw something worthy of a compliment and tells the drivers.
          I get the whole cooperate with law enforcement and I support the Blue. But why would anyone give up rights when they do not have to? Why cannot the police understand that is a persons right? I think the good cops do know. But to say, you must be hiding something is wrong, if you don't give up ID when asked while not being detained or suspected of a crime.
          And Yes...Nazi Germany used call for peoples papers to prove themselves. I have spoken to people who have survived the Holocaust and Europe in the 40's. No, I am NOT saying that what we are discussing is that bad, but to arbitrarily ask for ID (which I think NO GOOD LEO would do without cause) because they have to prove it. Driving is a privilege not a right. You are under the laws thumb when driving.
          It is all in how you handle yourself when interacting with LE. Being a jerk will get you treated like a jerk.
          Now lying to get info..The courts say its OK....Alright. Then why isn't the right to not to ID not getting the same respect? That is my point.
          For the record...Never been in trouble(fighting) since 16. Not even a speeding ticket. 53 now and I see more and more rights being whittled away in the name of safety and security. We all know what Ben Franklin had to say about that.
          If you read my posts you'll see that I don't randomly (and I don't know a cop that does) walk up and ask people for ID. I work at night (and have for about 22 of 24 years in LE). If I ask for ID it's because I already have observed suspicious activity or an offense of some kind. Refusal to produce ID only enhances that suspicion, and therefore requires, in my mind, enhanced investigation.

Yes, you have the "right" to not identify if you're not under arrest, but you ALSO have the RIGHT to not be a "jerk" and cooperate. If you are not engaged in criminal activities and exercise your right to not be a "jerk" there's a very good chance you will quickly be on your way. If you exercise your right to be a "jerk" there's a really good chance you will be under additional scrutiny until we are convinced you are not engaged in criminal activities. Your choice, respect goes both ways.

We're about the same age, I'm a couple years older. Alot of years in LE and have found that 98%+ of the time someone refuses to ID there's a pretty good reason they don't want me to know who they are.

Comment

Most of you vastly over-rate how interesting you are.

I hope your being an ******* and holding up an officer from dismissing a non issue doesn't keep him from stopping a serious crime somewhere....because you think you're cool.

Comment

"Yes, you have the "right" to not identify if you're not under arrest, but you ALSO have the RIGHT to not be a "jerk" and cooperate. If you are not engaged in criminal activities and exercise your right to not be a "jerk" there's a very good chance you will quickly be on your way. If you exercise your right to be a "jerk" there's a really good chance you will be under additional scrutiny until we are convinced you are not engaged in criminal activities. Your choice, respect goes both ways."

I'm not seeing where (under circumstances you're not required to ID yourself), you become the jerk because you won't comply with a request YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OBEY. When you respond to the officer's request with "No", you're establishing a boundary. Once the boundary is established, only an aggressive controller with a personal lack of established boundaries and self control would become upset. It's even more telling of an officer's character if they then decide to scrutinize an individual for having the self-respect to establish that boundary in the first place.
              Last edited by TexasArchery_27; 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                I'm not seeing where (under circumstances you're not required to ID yourself), you become the jerk because you won't comply with a request YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OBEY. When you respond to the offiecer's request with "No" you're establishing a boundary. Once the boundary is established, only an aggressive controller with a personal lack of established boundaries and self control would become upset. It's even more telling of an officer's character if they then decide to scrutinize an individual for having the self-respect to establish that boundary in the first place.
                You're just wasting his time, seriously. There's no reason for him to become upset, but now there is reason to be skeptical and dig further. And if you have nothing to hide, then you've wasted his time for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                  I'm not seeing where (under circumstances you're not required to ID yourself), you become the jerk because you won't comply with a request YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OBEY. When you respond to the offiecer's request with "No" you're establishing a boundary. Once the boundary is established, only an aggressive controller with a personal lack of established boundaries and self control would become upset. It's even more telling of an officer's character if they then decide to scrutinize an individual for having the self-respect to establish that boundary in the first place.
                  "Jerk" was your term. Read my prior posts on when I request ID of people not required to produce it. Sometimes it's because I'm dispatched to a call of suspicious activity, usually it's because I've already observed suspicious activity (driving through hotel parking lot in the middle of the night with no lights, arriving at hotel- staying 10 minutes in the middle of the night). I have never- and don't know officers that do- randomly asked someone for ID. There's always been an underlying reason for it. If you're not required to produce it and refuse- I'm not upset or mad- but since I already have some type of suspicion it will elevate my suspicion. Not sure why this is that hard to understand.

Edit- my bad,"jerk" was not your term, it was Tony's.
                  Last edited by flyby; 05-16-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

The III%er is strong around here. How many of y'all with a CHL feel like you don't have to identify yourself? Of course that changes the interaction. They got a job to do and 100% of the time we are both getting on our way allot quicker if I just show some ID.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                      I would want you to simply watch and see if they do commit a crime. Just your presence in that example would probably push anyone with criminal intent to move on

Sidenote, is it legal to drive through a parking lot at 3am with no lights on?
                      Right, so then they just move on to the other side of town and steal someone else's stuff. That is a perfect example of a " reasonable suspicion" to detain someone because the office ran easily articulate through training and experience
                      (Which do matter to the court) that this is a common activity from car burglars. For example, you don't know it as the citizen. But maybe that officer has seen surveillance video of car burglaries in that area recently where the suspects are showing up about that time and acting in the manner in which you be described. So, this would be a legal detention based upon a "reasonable suspicion" that these folks may be about to commit a crime as in the Brown vs. Texas supreme court case mentioned above.

And no, it's not illegal to have lights off in a parking g lot. Parking lot is private property. It's illegal to have light off at night time on a public street.

Comment

Law don't go round here law dog!

Comment

I am gonna start speeding around the area flyby patrols. When I finally stop I am gonna jump out and take off running, I just want to see how long it takes your dog to catch me [emoji16]

Stay safe out there & thanks for what you do

Comment

For those that don't answer questions from the police, Mr. Fletes may anger you.

I literally had beef jerky in my mouth when I started my conversation with this guy in front of the truck stop.

"Hey man what's up" can be a really useful tool sometimes...

Case opinion for TX Court of Appeals RIGOBERTO FLETES v. THE STATE OF TEXAS. Read the Court's full decision on FindLaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Most of you vastly over-rate how interesting you are.

I hope your being an ******* and holding up an officer from dismissing a non issue doesn't keep him from stopping a serious crime somewhere....because you think you're cool.

Nailed it!

Always a few “cool guys” in the group.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                                Law don't go round here law dog!
                                Tombstone!! My dog's name is Ringo. People ask me if he was named after Ringo from the Beatle's. Always tell them no, Johnny Ringo. Actually it was his name when I got him, but Johnny Ringo sounds better!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X