Got Ducks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    Well not too big... I just need about 6” in a 12 sq mi area somewhere in a specific area NE of Lubbock county....

I don’t want the whole south plains flooded with a pothole every half mile!
    Beggers can't be choosers I think it is better up there on super wet years when everyone and their mom isn't hunting one little area. It may spread the birds out but they get a lot less pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      Who are you hunting with in Lubbock? This is going to be a spotty year, extremely dry in most places, while others have had adequate rain. If you are on an isolated playa you will have green heads and possibly that cinnamon
      Keeps the birds concentrated but can be tough to find...once you find em it's on!

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
      doing a combo hunt with Crooked Wing. Main goal is to get them on cranes and cacklers, but if they have water that's holding mallards, we are going to swap one of the goose hunts for a duck hunt.
      God speed........ If you want to pay 20$ a gun I can tell you that Crooked Wing knows a dairy that will have mallards. I've never once not seen mallards on it. If I was around the area I would knock off the mallards for you. Tell him you want to hunt the feed lot pond on 179 outside of Edmonson, the colder the better.

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
      Beggers can't be choosers I think it is better up there on super wet years when everyone and their mom isn't hunting one little area. It may spread the birds out but they get a lot less pressure. Also if you can find someone in the Lamesa area the Mergansers are thick on those salt marshes!!
      I like more water for the geese but I prefer less water for the ducks, keeps em all nice and tight like! Find the one spot and you're set just don't over hunt it like some folks do....not naming anyone.

Comment

You can buy my hunt I am selling!! I know its out of state but you can shoot sea ducks one morning and the next shoot canvasbacks and buffleheads the other!!

Comment

Beggers can't be choosers I think it is better up there on super wet years when everyone and their mom isn't hunting one little area. It may spread the birds out but they get a lot less pressure.
          I’ve always said God despises farmers and duck hunters, never happy with the rain, it is either too little, too much or not at the right time.

I get what you are saying, but there is very little pressure in my area, makes for short hunts when they circle and go across the county road to any of a dozen unhunted playas.

Comment

I got some wood ducks. This spot s a public spot but is not a known spot. These woodies will dang near land on you in this hole we scouted probably about 150- 200 coming in and out of this particular hole.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Medina19; 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Fingers crossed for a big rain in all of September and October!!

FIFY.

I hunt big waters. And vegetation is growing out on the beaches. If that vegetation floods, I'ma gonna have another great year.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                FIFY.

I hunt big waters. And vegetation is growing out on the beaches. If that vegetation floods, I'ma gonna have another great year.
                Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post

God speed........ If you want to pay 20$ a gun I can tell you that Crooked Wing knows a dairy that will have mallards. I've never once not seen mallards on it. If I was around the area I would knock off the mallards for you. Tell him you want to hunt the feed lot pond on 179 outside of Edmonson, the colder the better.
                  Noted

We were there last year mid-January after a good freeze and a lot of the playas iced over. It slowed down the ducks for a few days but hopefully things are a little different this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    FIFY.

I wouldn't be sad if we had a few month's worth of rain. The pond in Blanco where the duck strap pic is from is completely dry right now. In January this last year you could have gotten your limit out there every day with a tennis raquet

Comment

I've kept my dequees put up for the last three years. Cause the big waters been to low here in this north area of Texas. Sure, you can scratch a few out. But if I'm gonna take people out, I want them to be successful.

We get another good year like in 2009 where I can pull into a cove, and 3-5K get off the water, then that is a good year. They don't come often. Had a lot of first timers get their first duck that year. Most were sprigs for they'er first duck. Most got a limit before leaving. It was just one of those years where everything worked out right. I even did a TBH group hunt that year.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                        I'm taking some family up there at the end of December and doing a combo hunt with Crooked Wing. Main goal is to get them on cranes and cacklers, but if they have water that's holding mallards, we are going to swap one of the goose hunts for a duck hunt.

My college roommate and his family run a handful of dairy farms up between Hartley and Dumas. We go up there early December every year to pheasant hunt. They were killing a bunch of ducks out of their playas this last year (even some lost woodies) literally up until the day I got there. Pulled into the driveway at 2 am and the temperature was 19. Went out a few hours later and all of their playas were frozen over and the ducks moved on.

"Shoulda been here yesterday" strikes again
                        I grew up in Hartley and the tailwater pits were always full of ducks and no one ever really hunted them. We would occasionally sneak up and shoot some while pheasant hunting but it wasn’t really much of a hunt just a jump shoot. Lots of mallards.

Comment

Ducks suck

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                            Ducks suck...

Water? Duck weed? That's-a why ya shoot-m in de face.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              This is a list of species we have shot off of the Pecos River out in Pecos county over the last 25 years. Nobody really guides out here but the birds are here when the river is up. Granted we always pond hopped gravel pits or jump shot bends in the river but man is it a blast. I haven't been duck hunting in 5-6 years, this thread has me wanting to go out and shoot some this year.

Mallard
                              Redhead
                              Canvasback
                              Pintail
                              Blue wing teal
                              Green wing teal
                              Cinammon teal
                              Gadwall
                              Hooded Merganser
                              Bufflehead
                              Shoveler
                              Widgeon, lots of these
                              Ring Neck
                              Ruddy
                              Wood Duck
                              Barrows Goldeneye
                              Common Goldeneye
                              Sandhill Crane

It is not unheard of for us to go out and have a drake from 8-9 different species in the truck at the end of the morning with 2-3 guys hunting.
                              x2 on hunting the bends on the river there, it has been that long for me I know but my brother is/was hunting there on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                                Ducks suck
                                I know a spot with canvas backs... LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X