New Arrow questions...FOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Arrow questions...FOC

So I'm wanting a new arrow set-up. In the past I have used Axis arrows and liked them a lot. Last season I switched to Black Eagle Carnivore's with brass inserts/weights because I wanted to test-out the higher FOC stuff. Think I was around 19%-20% FOC with a total arrow weight of 515 gr including the 100 gr head. It worked pretty good on deer. BUT, I broke a lot of the Carnivore's. So now I'm thinking about switching back to Axis.

DL is 28", and pulling 65 lbs out of a Halon 6-32. How much weight can I add to the front of an 5mm Axis arrow and be able to stay with the 340's? I'd like to stay with them and not have to move up to the 300's if possible. On the back I will have Nocturnals and 3-2" Blazer vanes. I know I can get 75 gr brass inserts, but what else can I add to the front? Thanks for any help.

I did a switch very similar to what you have.. I went from easton 5mm axis 300 to the GT velocity xt 300... they are same heavy spine but a few gpi lighter, so it allowed me to keep the weight i had before but move it to the front with the inserts that Gold tip has. I love it and my biggest problem is usually trying to find the arrow in the leaves after it blows thru.

Having said that I definitely noticed a difference in the arrow toughness, I have cracked a few on pass through when it hits the ground, where on my axis I reused those many many times on animals with far fewer cracked arrows....love those axis 5mm!

Go talk to Aaron at hoffys, he will get you set up right.

Comment

Any light gpi arrow is going to be brittle. Just part of it. I’ve been doing some descriptive testing. But I had to stop using my carnivores for this. Let me add something here. I love carnivore arrows. But I understand the limits to them.

If I was going to look at a good strong arrow I would look at the TDT arrows by victory. I have blown out the nock end on these arrows. But the test I was doing was extremely hard. All else has been good

Comment

Or you could add an Insert/Outsert system like Ethics Archery to strengthen the weak point.

Comment

Did you ever make a decision? I’m currently building 2 sets of arrows. Axis 5mm around 535 grains going about 270 FPS around 11%-12% FOC and Carnivores at about 584 grains going about 250 FPS, but with 18%-20% FOC

Comment

I'm running the velocity xts 300 . 28 inches ctc 85 grains up front 125 head 500 grains on the nose and according to asby's chart 19% foc.. I haven't shot it through the crono but at 460 I was still right at 290 ft. I tried to go heavier but didnt like the trajectory for longer shots.

Comment

I can echo the same. Used to shoot Axis and then switched last year to Carnivores with about a 520 gr setup with 17% foc. Got amazing pass thru results, but ruined several arrows.

Comment

Working...
              X