Upgrading my truck gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading my truck gun

For several years I have been carrying a Wilson combat AR in my truck.
    I always have my handgun on me but if I ever have to fight, I want a rifle.

One of the things I took away from last months church shooting was that after being hit several times the thug dropped his rifle and drove away. To me that means other that a lack of heart, he could have still been in the fight.

I ordered a M1A scout to use as my truck gun.

I want to run it suppressed but my local class III gunsmith says that it will beat the gun up and cause several issues if I suppress it.

I'm not so worried about making it quite as I am worried the muzzle blast without hearing protection will effect my ability to put rounds on target.

Is anyone running a suppressor on their M1A?

I agree, my handgun buys me time to get to my primary weapon!

I believe the US military is still using the M25 or M21, not sure which one with suppression provided by Ops inc.

I have seen them at the range suppressed but do not have any first hand experience. A quick search turned up several mods that you can do over on M4 and SilencerTalk.

Comment

Check out the m14forum.com and youtube. adjustable gas plug is needed.

Comment

While I don't have any personal experience in combat situations, I doubt in the heat of the moment you'll notice the muzzle blast unless your indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
          While I don't have any personal experience in combat situations, I doubt in the heat of the moment you'll notice the muzzle blast unless your indoors.
          You won’t

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
            You won’t
            This......(same can't be said for the Barrett in a room). If you want to run it suppressed you can get the spindle modified or use a Shuster type gas plug.

Comment

Wish I had some advice here,I carry a pistol, but My truck gun is an ar pistol in with a vortex red dot. Just easier to conceal and get out if it were ever needed

Comment

Marty, have you thought about changing from the 223 to a larger caliber in the Ar15 platform? I'm not an expert on the different configurations and with having a suppressor but couldn't you go with a 300BO suppressed or 6.8/6.5 Grendel and have minimal modifications to the gun?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                  While I don't have any personal experience in combat situations, I doubt in the heat of the moment you'll notice the muzzle blast unless you're indoors.

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

The problem with having a suppressor on the M1A is that if someone breaks in to your truck and steals the gun, they will illegally be in possession of the suppressor. You are making them a criminal!

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                      The problem with having a suppressor on the M1A is that if someone breaks in to your truck and steals the gun, they will illegally be in possession of the suppressor. You are making them a criminal!
                      Is this a joke?

Comment

Nothing wrong with a truck gun ... but the main point I took out of the Sutherland Springs shooting was that it took someone outside the congregation to take him out.

Not one CHL carrier engaged him. Had someone (or multiple someones) pulled a gun and put a couple of rounds into his face the number of casualties might have been significantly lower.

My guess is that money is best spent on upgrading carry guns and training/practice to have confidence in those kinds of shots.

Comment

Originally posted by RevMS View Post
                          Nothing wrong with a truck gun ... but the main point I took out of the Sutherland Springs shooting was that it took someone outside the congregation to take him out.

Not one CHL carrier engaged him. Had someone (or multiple someones) pulled a gun and put a couple of rounds into his face the number of casualties might have been significantly lower.

My guess is that money is best spent on upgrading carry guns and training/practice to have confidence in those kinds of shots.
                          Very true, however not all shootings will happen in an indoor area. They could happen anywhere. You could happen to be in your car when this situation takes place. If you were to witness this and were in your vehicle with a “truck gun” and “carry pistol” which would you grab to terminate the threat who is carrying a rifle?

Comment

I've been considered a "truck gun" for some time now and I always come back to the problem of securing/hiding it somewhere in the truck. If I was to run my AR pistol 300BLK as my truck gun, how would I go about locking something that size up and keeping it out of sight?

Comment

Originally posted by slomo View Post
                              Very true, however not all shootings will happen in an indoor area. They could happen anywhere. You could happen to be in your car when this situation takes place. If you were to witness this and were in your vehicle with a “truck gun” and “carry pistol” which would you grab to terminate the threat who is carrying a rifle?
                              No doubt, the rifle ... but odds are you are not going to be within arms reach of your rifle ... the pistol has a less than a second response time.

If a shooting happens in church ... I'm in the church, not my truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X