Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a squirrel climb over me while hunting in a tree stand. I also watched a hawk land on a limb about 40' feet from me. I was in full leafy camo except for my eyes. When I looked at him and blinked my eyes the hawk locked in on me like a radar and flew right at my eyes with his talons out front! I hit him at the last second with my bow and he flew away.

Comment

The year: 2000
      County: Blanco
      Sunday afternoon, its pouring rain, Im laying on the couch at the lease watching a movie. Everyone has gone home from a weekend of fun. The mud is that black slick cr*p you can't drive through without making a mess, so once it stopped I got motivated and decided to walk to me stand.
      Its December, somewhat cool and very wet. I arrive at my stand and settle in around 4pm. I was just relaxing with a beer thinking about what im going to have for dinner....... About 100 yards out behind some small oaks I see brown....... I get my rifle up and try and scope the animal. Still a little too thick.... 2 or 3 minutes go by and out steps a 4X5 Bull Elk (Im hunting a 1200 acre low fence place). I just about exploded. My brain went into slow motion as I squeezed the trigger..... I set the rifle down and asked myself what just happened. My brain is now in fast forward...... Im in full freak out mode.
      LOL, It was great. I called my late father in law who lives in San Antonio who came to help me. Trailer with a winch and it was a done deal.

Comment

Was sitting in a box blind on the ground in the Desdemona area when a bobcat stood up and peaked in the front window. It was totally unexpected as I didn't hear the approach, and I've never jumped that high from a sitting position!

Comment

Was in a tripod nestled in a big oak tree last year and kept hearing scurrying sounds in the dark. As it got light, I realized that the tree was infested with field mice. They were running up my legs and down my knocked arrow. The noises didn't bother the deer one bit but I wasn't in that tree very long

Comment

Forgot about this one:
            Was turkey hunting last spring (Had 2 decoys out, Hen and Jake) and watching a few hens feeding around. All of a sudden I see a hawk coming in my direction really fast and he swoops down and grabs my hen decoy and tries to take off. Made it about 5ft and i guess it was too heavy so he dropped it. Wishing I would of had my video camera rolling.

Comment

I was sitting in a ground blind in south Texas and had this uneasy feeling. As I looked around I saw a mountain lion coming down a trail about 75 Yds away. It came within 22 of my normal steps from me. I think it sensed something was wrong also. It slowly worked a semi circle to my right and then continued on down the trail to a clump of tree about 200 yds away. Upon reaching the tree I watched deer going everywhere, but heard no commotion and saw nothing of a kill.

Comment

I was deer hunting one evening from a lock-on in a big live oak. Right before sundown a dozen or so turkeys came in and started pecking around the feeder right below me. When it started to get dark, one by one they started flying up and roosting in the tree I was hunting from. I was in a leafy suit and sat still and they paid me no attention. The last two that flew up landed on a limb no more than 3 feet from me. I sat there until it got dark, listening them purr, cluck and make some turkey noises I never heard before or since. I knew what would happen when I moved to get down and sure enough they absolutely freaked. They all took off at once - sounded like helicopters crashing through the branches to get away...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                  The year: 2000
                  County: Blanco
                  Sunday afternoon, its pouring rain, Im laying on the couch at the lease watching a movie. Everyone has gone home from a weekend of fun. The mud is that black slick cr*p you can't drive through without making a mess, so once it stopped I got motivated and decided to walk to me stand.
                  Its December, somewhat cool and very wet. I arrive at my stand and settle in around 4pm. I was just relaxing with a beer thinking about what im going to have for dinner....... About 100 yards out behind some small oaks I see brown....... I get my rifle up and try and scope the animal. Still a little too thick.... 2 or 3 minutes go by and out steps a 4X5 Bull Elk (Im hunting a 1200 acre low fence place). I just about exploded. My brain went into slow motion as I squeezed the trigger..... I set the rifle down and asked myself what just happened. My brain is now in fast forward...... Im in full freak out mode.
                  LOL, It was great. I called my late father in law who lives in San Antonio who came to help me. Trailer with a winch and it was a done deal.

You win..

Comment

One evening I was in a tree stand overlooking a field. It was a still and quiet evening. Several does and a couple small bucks had made their way into the field. All of a sudden I could hear from the woods what sounded like a person walking. The leaves crunching and twigs breaking under the footsteps. All the deer looked in the direction of the sound I was hearing. I just knew a poacher was about to ruin my hunt. The steps got louder until I knew any second the person was going to walk into the field. Well the noise entered the field then I could just barely hear steps in the grassy field. I also couldn't see anyone. However, every deer was looking at the same location. In unison their eyes followed "something" from one side of the field to the other! All the deer watched with their eyes moving across this field. The object they were looking at was about 50 yards from me, but nothing was there! The grass in the field was only about 6"-8" and I was 20 yards up a tree with a full view. After the deer watched the "noise" move across the field they went right back to feeding! Freaked me out! I got down before dark that day

Comment

Was bow hunting in a live oak tree, shooter buck comes in and starts rubbing the branches of the tree I was in...talk about a trill! Couldn't get a shot off, he turned the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcortex View Post
                        Was sitting in a box blind on the ground in the Desdemona area when a bobcat stood up and peaked in the front window. It was totally unexpected as I didn't hear the approach, and I've never jumped that high from a sitting position!
                        That's crazy, surprised the bobcat didn't get a right hook!!!

Comment

I was in my stand one morning down in Laredo doing a little varmint calling. I'm backed off a sendero facing an open field in front of me. I run the call and look down the sendero to my right, slowly turning left and scanning everything until I'm looking down the sendoro to my left. I turn my head back to the right and right there at 40-50 yards stands the devil himself! It was a giant horse/donkey/mule/brahma bull cross looking thing with horns and he's staring right at me! We have a staring contest that seemed to last for forever. When I finally calm down enough I remember that I have a rifle in the corner next to me and decide that this thing needs to die because it sure as heck isn't any type of North American game animal. Besides that, I thought he was going to kill me first! As soon as I make a move for the gun he bolts into the brush never to be seen again. I went back to camp and didn't say anything about my encounter with the devil until that evening after a few beers. Everyone there had a good laugh at my story and that is when I learned what a Nilgai was!
                          Last edited by CabezaBlanca; 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Had a sparrow hawk land on my head while I was hunting a sendero. I was sitting down next to an old broken corner post. I guess he thought I was part of the post. Scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                              I was in my stand one morning down in Laredo doing a little varmint calling. I'm backed off a sendero facing an open field in front of me. I run the call and look down the sendero to my right, slowly turning left and scanning everything until I'm looking down the sendoro to my left. I turn my head back to the right and right there at 40-50 yards stands the devil himself! It was a giant horse/donkey/mule/brahma bull cross looking thing with horns and he's staring right at me! We have a staring contest that seemed to last for forever. When I finally calm down enough I remember that I have a rifle in the corner next to me and decide that this thing needs to die because it sure as heck isn't any type of North American game animal. Besides that, I thought he was going to kill me first! As soon as I make a move for the gun he bolts into the brush never to be seen again. I went back to camp and didn't say anything about my encounter with the devil until that evening after a few beers. Everyone their had a good laugh at my story and that is when I learned what a Nilgai was!
                              I got the chills when reading that until I read the nilgai part then I started laughing!!!!

Comment

Couple cool encounters:

Dumped a hog carcass (minus the backstraps and quarters) into a creek near the Trinity River. The landowner wanted us to dump them there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ALDcaZT4Wk"]Hog n gator - YouTube[/ame]

Me and Saltwaterslick were filming a deer and had a squirrel playing out front of the blind in Del Rio. Bye bye Mr. Squirrel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24VsBt6lmk"]Del Rio Big Buck and Hawk Grabs a Squirrel - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X