Las Palomas (Arroyo Colorado Unit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Las Palomas (Arroyo Colorado Unit)

I drew a spot for the Archery Hunt (Oct. 12-16) and was just hoping some here could give me some info on the area and what to expect. I'm not looking for hunting areas as it is a set location hunt so there is no thinking on my part as far as that goes. I read in one post doing a search that the park ranger may have showed some favor to friends (standby) on a javelina hunt. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm up against with this hunt. I'm not worried about the lack of water / electricity, and plan on tent camping (camping tips are welcomed as well). I guess the two things that have got me thinking is sitting in the same spot for 4 1/2 days (are some spots so bad that I may sit the duration and see nothing?), and with only being able to get one deer is it the kind of place that you take the first thing you see or is it worth waiting for the first 3 days or so for a buck and having a strong chance at a doe in the last two hunts. Any and all info is welcomed and appreciated.

I wish I could be more help but I've just dove hunted there. I'm not surprised about the rumors where friends get special treatment. It is the Valley. I've learned that you take the first shot you get when hunting public land or go home empty handed. I'm not the best at taking my own advice. Good luck and post an update after.

Comment

Guess we drew in the second draw. Any more info guys?

Comment

Take the shot that makes you happy....remember , it's not a high fence,guided hunt.

Comment

I would agree, if you see something take the shot. I haven't heard great things about the hunt in general. I think if you look at the statistics from last year's harvest you'll see it's not a very high success rate.

As for camping I think the closest place is Adolph Thomae Park in Rio Hondo http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/parks/thomae_park.htm .

Good luck and post up your experience!

Comment

Ttt

Lots of javis out there?

Comment

Got drawn as well. Will be scouting Wednesday morning.

Comment

This is an example of the new system working in my opinion. I was not able to make this hunt after all so I let the deadline pass, and bang another person gets a shot and it goes to a fellow TBH. Good luck to yall and if you don't mind, post up your thoughts and results. This is still a place I would like to hunt one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bow Ironman View Post
                  This is an example of the new system working in my opinion. I was not able to make this hunt after all so I let the deadline pass, and bang another person gets a shot and it goes to a fellow TBH. Good luck to yall and if you don't mind, post up your thoughts and results. This is still a place I would like to hunt one day.
                  yup

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Working...
                    X