Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder
Default My Horrifying Shop Build: Update!

Some of y'all may remember me posting some pics of the nightmare I was having w/getting a shop built. WeldRite Construction, who failed miserably @ building the shop w/a pool room, filed a small claims suit against me. There was $4K left on the contract I didn't pay because I fired them. They also added $175 for rotating an exterior door 180į because they installed it backwards & $120 for adding a door to a closet (they stated they don't put doors on closets ). They sued me for $4,295. I countered with a suit for $10K (max in small claims court). I had to pay another contractor $6,200 to fix & finish the job, plus $5K to a separate electrician, dirt guy & items that were never purchased, so $11,200 out of my pocket in addition to the funds he received.
I had folders full of receipts & documents along w/225 photos from beginning to end. The judge told this clown he will be awarded "nothing" & that he owes me $5,700.
Moral of the story, when you're wronged by a contractor, don't just take it. So many people told me you can't fire or sue contractors in Texas because the law is on their side. I'm here to say that's not entirely true. While I didn't get all my money back, I flipped the script on this fool by $10K (he wanted $4,295, I got $5,700).

Last edited by LFD2037; 11-19-2019 at 01:06 PM.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Parramore
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Well done sir. I refuse to shat upon by contractors and I applaud you resolve.
Parramore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Good luck collecting.. been there done that.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Glad to see it work out for you.
Good luck collecting the $5,700 from the contractor.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

EXCELLENT!! You did your part. I hope you are successful in actually getting the money as noted above by others. Hard to get blood out of a Turnip. That contractor is probably robbing his Peter jobs to pay his Paul accounts. We live it everyday.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

heck ya!
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Good!!

I have the roll up doors left on mine and it's been a PIA!

Not looking forward to a full on house

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Good to hear!
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Good!!

I have the roll up doors left on mine and it's been a PIA!

Not looking forward to a full on house

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This guy attached the whole roll up door/drum/assembly with only 10 self tapping screws in the rail guides & it was this way for 2 months! He failed to attach the drum brackets to the structure until I showed him where he failed & gave him the directions saying that must be done or the whole thing can come crashing down.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Please follow up if you can actually collect. I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely interested in whether you succeed as I've been advised by construction lawyer friends that it's almost impossible unless you're dealing with a legitimate company with substantial assets.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Please follow up if you can actually collect. I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely interested in whether you succeed as I've been advised by construction lawyer friends that it's almost impossible unless you're dealing with a legitimate company with substantial assets.
There are means of making it happen. I'll post back w/my results of the new battle! It won't be easy, or quick, but I will succeed. Liens can be placed on certain property/belongings and a suit can be filed against bank accounts. I have about 5 different angles to approach this so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out & what gets it accomplished.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #12
Deer Tamales
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan/Tom Green County

Holy moly, glad I saw this. I had them provide me a bid for my 40x60 shop build. Bet of luck bud. I’m in Waxahachie as well.
Deer Tamales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Tamales View Post
Holy moly, glad I saw this. I had them provide me a bid for my 40x60 shop build. Bet of luck bud. I’m in Waxahachie as well.
Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uun!!!!!!!!

He showed me pics of shops he had supposedly built. Watching him build mine, & the things they did, I don't believe he's ever built one before. It's that bad. I could've done it myself but it would've taken me 4 or 5 months doing it on my days off or when something wasn't going on & I didn't want to wait that long. On the contract I had him put a worst case scenario completion date. He wrote "turn key completion will be 1 month, give or take 2 weeks". I fired him @ week 16.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #14
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County
Default My Horrifying Shop Build: Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Tamales View Post
Holy moly, glad I saw this. I had them provide me a bid for my 40x60 shop build. Bet of luck bud. Iím in Waxahachie as well.

I can provide you the name of the contractor who did our shop in Ennis 2 years ago. Shoot me a PM if interested.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

If someone wants progress payments you better study it closely. Looks like you got too far ahead on paying him. Glad the judge was on your side.

How do you collect? What mechanisms can you use?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #16
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Just curious, did you get other bids, referrals on this guy ? Was he the cheapest ? Sounds like you had a circus going on, good to hear you ended up not getting hosed in the long run.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post

Exactly what I was going to comment, Iím still sitting on a judgement from 1986 that I havenít collected....
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #18
gatt40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

Good for you. Nobody likes going this route, but you had to.
gatt40 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #19
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
Yep to the above.... But, you can place a mechanical lien against his equipment and the sheriff will seize it. But that's more time and effort on your part.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 12:12 AM   #20
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post
Yep to the above.... But, you can place a mechanical lien against his equipment and the sheriff will seize it. But that's more time and effort on your part.
A UCC lien is a royal PIA , I had a contractor buy my warehouse up near Bush international, and default on the note leaving me with a warehouse full of rolls of copper roofing, Aluminum , trucks
Ladders, a nice new metal break, huge industrial air compressors , I came in and cleaned out my warehouse sold every thing in it , then a lawyer showed up with a list of ucc creditors
That had been cheated by the builder, I had to show the court loads of paper work and expenses, and the companies on the ucc list in the end actually owed me money for inventories, equipment rental and storage , the court double screwed them by forcing me to ď sort it out ď and by never forcing him to pay the liensĒ
We even had more drama when Harris county sheriffís department
Had a guns out argument with Montgomery County SD when we went to serve ucc papers and load stolen heavy equipment at his house
Some times itís best to lick your wounds and walk away
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #21
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Good for you! Even if you don't get the money owed to you, you put him on notice and your story provides encouragement to others that are in the same boat.

Years ago my parents hired a contractor to build a house. He was in kahoots with the bank officer of a large bank and they stole hundreds of thousands of dollars not only from my parents' house project but several others in the neighborhood. One had a VA loan. The bank was releasing loan funds for work that had not been done or certified. When the loan was exhausted the contractor walked until the homeowner secured more money. It is a long, long story but in the end, my parents sued the contractor and the bank. The bank didn't want this to go to public trial so they settled with my parents. then dad took the documents to the FBI. They arrested multiple people and fined the bank thousands of dollars. My parents took on the bank and the corruption and won, but in the end, financially they only came out even.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
txcntryboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
I can provide you the name of the contractor who did our shop in Ennis 2 years ago. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Iíd appreciate that info as well if you donít mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txcntryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
There are means of making it happen. I'll post back w/my results of the new battle! It won't be easy, or quick, but I will succeed. Liens can be placed on certain property/belongings and a suit can be filed against bank accounts. I have about 5 different angles to approach this so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out & what gets it accomplished.
If you get a judgement against them if they ever go try to borrow money they will have to satisfy the judgement with you first
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #24
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Best of luck getting the money. If you have to take the hard road could the contractor be charged with violating a court order? The threat of jail time may make him find your money.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
LFD2037
Pope & Young

I’ll post my tricks of getting the money as soon as the contractor is notified of each process. I don’t want to show my cards until it’s time!