Question for the string gurus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the string gurus.

The serving on my longbow has gotten loose. Mostly on the upper portion. I've tried to twist it back and push it down. I heated it lightly with a lighter. And it's still just as loose. I'm trying to save some money by not getting a new string, and really like the string that's on it and don't know who made it. any way I can get this thing tighter???
    B

I could reserve it for you and it will never come loose again, garrantee. Not sure where your at, your profile says NE Texas. I'm north of Blue Ridge.

Matt

Comment

For about $25 you can get a simple serving tool and a spool of material - using one is pretty easy to get the hang of. Even though I don't use mine very often I'm glad I have one in my tackle box. It has saved a hunt or two when my serving came apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
        I could reserve it for you and it will never come loose again, garrantee. Not sure where your at, your profile says NE Texas. I'm north of Blue Ridge.

Matt
        Thanks for the offer, I'm in Paris. I think about 1hr 15 min from you? any chance you'll be at the dca tbot on Sunday the 10th? That'll probably be the next time I'm close your way. I've got a spool of serving thread I use for my knocking points, but it's too small. Is there no way to tighten it up? I've never seen a string served so I don't know what's happened to make it loose.
        B

Comment

Just pull off that serving and reserve it. It will be as good as new then. That is one thing that just about any shop CAN do on a trad bow!

Make sure you have your nocking point measured with a square before removing the old serving!

Bisch

Comment

So has it come loose out near one of the loops or in the middle?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Just pull off that serving and reserve it. It will be as good as new then. That is one thing that just about any shop CAN do on a trad bow!

Bisch
              I didn't think to ask about that. There are a couple of bow shops close to me. But nobody does trad of course.
              B

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                So has it come loose out near one of the loops or in the middle?
                Once I finished pushing it to the middle and twisting on it it's only loose at the end towards my upper limb.
                B

Comment

If you have a spare string, put it on and send this one to me, and I'll reserve it for you.

Rick

Comment

Any bow shop should be able to reserve your string, it's no different serving it.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                      If you have a spare string, put it on and send this one to me, and I'll reserve it for you.

Rick
                      Thanks for the offer, but I don't have a spare for any of my bows. Since I now know that any shop can I'll have one of the local shops here serve it.
                      B

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
                        Thanks for the offer, but I don't have a spare for any of my bows. Since I now know that any shop can I'll have one of the local shops here serve it.
                        B
                        No problem Bro.

It really would be worth your while to get a simple serving tool, and learn how to reserve your strings. Can save you a lot of time & trouble down the road.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                          No problem Bro.

It really would be worth your while to get a simple serving tool, and learn how to reserve your strings. Can save you a lot of time & trouble down the road.

Rick
                          I definately will later on. Cutting everything i can right now till I get married in April. But stringbuilding altogether is in the plan. Just not right now.
                          B

Comment

In case you're cheap, like me, here's a couple of home made serving jigs you could make yourself fairly easily:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ZwjSDd4j8"]Making a $1 - $2 String Server for Archery - YouTube[/ame]

There was another one I saw a while back made by bending a piece of plastic in two places, drilling holes, and putting a bolt through it, but I can't find it.

You can serve a string without a jig. It just takes longer.

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
                              Thanks for the offer, I'm in Paris. I think about 1hr 15 min from you? any chance you'll be at the dca tbot on Sunday the 10th? That'll probably be the next time I'm close your way. I've got a spool of serving thread I use for my knocking points, but it's too small. Is there no way to tighten it up? I've never seen a string served so I don't know what's happened to make it loose.
                              B
                              I'm not sure if I can make that shoot or not. But, I have a bunch of strings I've made that were either too long or too short for my purposes. If you can tell me what length yours is I'll go thru and see if I have one that will work. If so I'll send it to you. I've got an older string jig I'll give you as well.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X