still new to traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still new to traditional

I am still new to traditional shooting. I have a question for you gays. I have been shooting compound bows for many years but last year i started shooting a long bow and a recurve. I like both but enjoy the recurve more. My question is about my draw length. With a compound its 27.5 I have been told that you lose a inch when you switch to a traditional bow. I had my wife measure me at Full draw from the string to the far side of the riser #1 is this correct? and we measured both recurve and longbow. recurve I was 26 and 1/4 with the long bow I was 26 and3/4 would it be safe to say that I am 26 and 1/2 any help would be great I am looking to have a recurve made for myself in the near future. the bows I have are both @ 28 inch draw the long bow is a martin savanah at 50# and the recurve is a red wing hunter at 45# if that helps. THANKS

Gays? Hum.

Comment

I'm not gay but I will answer your question. LOL
      You are measuring correctly. I wouldn't compare your draw length on a stickbow to that on the wheel bow. You were probably using a D loop and a release on the compound. Just draw the arrow to where ever you have chosen for an anchor point and the draw length is what it is. Have someone mark an arrow so that you will know how long to cut (if you want to) new ones. I don't cut mine as I'm pretty bad about tearing them up and will eventually trim them shorter than my draw length. Lots of rocks and other hard objects where I live and I tend to shatter the shaft just behind the point. The five year old grandson inherits my short arrows.

If you are correct about the length that you are pulling, you can deduct about five or six pounds from your bows draw weights.

Comment

I'm not gay but I will answer your question. LOL
        You are measuring correctly. I wouldn't compare your draw length on a stickbow to that on the wheel bow. You were probably using a D loop and a release on the compound. Just draw the arrow to where ever you have chosen for an anchor point and the draw length is what it is. Have someone mark an arrow so that you will know how long to cut (if you want to) new ones. I don't cut mine as I'm pretty bad about tearing them up and will eventually trim them shorter than my draw length. Lots of rocks and other hard objects where I live and I tend to shatter the shaft just behind the point. The five year old grandson inherits my short arrows.

If you are correct about the length that you are pulling, you can deduct about five or six pounds from your bows draw weights.

Comment

Thanks sorry for miss spelling

Comment

One thing I would suggest is have an experienced trad archer watch you draw to make sure you are doing it properly - it can have a big effect on draw length. In my case, after taking a lesson my draw length went from just under 27" to an even 28". In addition to increasing the draw weight by about 3 pounds, that one inch made quite a difference on finding the right arrow combination. There are several form flaws that can cause you to under draw such as hunching and moving the head forward.
            Last edited by jerp; 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Get a bare shaft with a nock. From the throat of the nock, rested in a nail, mark off from 20 to 30" in one inch increments. Slide a piece of cardboard onto the shaft. Draw to your anchor point. Where the cardboard stops when you reach full draw is your draw length. Frank

Comment

Thank ya'll for the advice! I will put it to use.

Comment

I just clip a clothes pin to the arrow and draw the bow. measure from the nock groove to clothes pin.

Comment

Working...
                  X