Colorado unit 85 elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado unit 85 elk

I’ll be in this unit around Weston for archery elk. Dates I’ll be there is aug 31-sep 8 and on private land.

Anyone have any insight on the public in this area? I may go up for the opener and hunt public the week before or go to public if the elk sign is minimal on the private where I’ll be. Feel free to pm me if you’d like. More interested in pressure in this area or the San Isabel NF that’s close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private land next to public should be golden. Hopefully you have some hard to get to public land bordering it and you should find some elk. I’d say being early season find the water far off any beaten path and you should be golden. Keep me posted how it goes. I’ll be jealous for sure

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
      Private land next to public should be golden. Hopefully you have some hard to get to public land bordering it and you should find some elk. I’d say being early season find the water far off any beaten path and you should be golden. Keep me posted how it goes. I’ll be jealous for sure

The private isn’t very close to public but I’m coming back from a quick trip up there and there is good sign. Some really good trails and several rubs in multiple locations. Also some very good water sources as well. Didn’t get to look at the public but it’s public next to private and has some good timberline. Had a guy show me a few spots that he’s seen elk while scouting for sheep. It’s about 2 miles in on a trail head and 2500 for up a steep slope to get to timberline

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        The private isn’t very close to public but I’m coming back from a quick trip up there and there is good sign. Some really good trails and several rubs in multiple locations. Also some very good water sources as well. Didn’t get to look at the public but it’s public next to private and has some good timberline. Had a guy show me a few spots that he’s seen elk while scouting for sheep. It’s about 2 miles in on a trail head and 2500 for up a steep slope to get to timberline

Sounds like you are a lot better off then I was last year. I swore off co public land cause it sucked so bad. 4 days and not a single elk spotted heard or anything. Did see where one was cleaned that was as close I got.

Comment

Sounds like you are a lot better off then I was last year. I swore off co public land cause it sucked so bad. 4 days and not a single elk spotted heard or anything. Did see where one was cleaned that was as close I got.

Yeah, I just hope to hear one. At least I’d feel like I’d have a small chance of closing in. I may end up sitting over water if it’s quiet. Prolly won’t be very vocal the last week of August

Comment

You need to be watching the road right now instead of worrying about elk. Lol

Comment

That’s ok-NM next year!

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                That’s ok-NM next year!
                You bet!!!! Very worse case we will try co again if we don’t draw or get LO tags. So Dan can scout for us this year out there.

Comment

You bet!!!! Very worse case we will try co again if we don’t draw or get LO tags. So Dan can scout for us this year out there.

[emoji1303]

Comment

Working...
                  X