No announcement yet.

Harvesting On Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just gut the deer then i stuff 2 or 3 bags of ice in the cavity then i take it home and put it on my hoist where i can hose it down properly and take my time with the meat.

Comment

I drag it into a fairly open spot for more elbow and cart room. Out of courtesy, I'll also drag it, out of sight, away from a main equestrian trail and dress it. I leave the guts where they fall and I bury the thin gloves (easily bio-degrades).

Comment

I use gloves as well and I burry the gloves away from the guts and put some rocks ontop of the hole and dirt that away no yotes or hogs get to the smelly gloves.

Comment

A little off topic but are you supposed to take every buck you kill to the check station or no??

Comment

It depends on the unit you are hunting some WMA require it for the whole season and some only require general season to check in deer for the first 3 days of the season. The check stations are just to make sure people are tagging deer and not harvesting anything illegal or illegally and to get a general idea of how the area is doing and the numbers that are being taken each year.

Comment

Big Red Bowhunter, you forgot to say which piece of public land you'll be hunting...What place is it??

Also, if the rules say don't gut it on the public land, why do you plan to defy the rules? We hunters need to respect the rules & wishes of the caretakers of the land. I would consider not hunting such a property if I were not allowed to gut the game immediately after the kill. Such a rule invites spoilage of the meat unless one has quick access off the land from the spot of the kill.

Comment

If the rules say no then dont, but I have never read that. I have never seen a gut pile make it to dawns early light.

I guess you could bring them home and string them around the Christmas tree.

Comment

Same. where it expires. Animals don't care except...

"is it food or if I hang around will I be food?"

Don't do it in front of none hunters and

please pack your trash out.

I've got a buddy that will pack the guts out and freeze them for bait at a later date.

I ain't doing that.

Chaps makes you bring Javi's in whole to check for babies.

Comment

you take the guts out!!!no wonder my meat taste funny

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Actually I don't field dress, leave the innards in the deer, skin and debone the deer, throw carcass away with the innards still inside
                      What about those delicious little tender loins?

Comment

Working...
                      X