A simple act of kindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple act of kindness

Last year my mom was dying of cancer. She had already suffered strokes from it. Her vision and hearing had been affected quite a bit. We thought, prayed, and hoped that surgery had taken care of it. Well, it came back with a vengeance and this time there was little the dr’s said could be done. Mom was too weak to travel far. She had been through two surgeries and too many hospital visits and stays. As hard as it was to accept and grasp that the end was near, we had no choice. Mom didn’t want to leave, but it’s just the cards she was dealt, so she made sure that everything was in order. She had numerous stories written down as well as recipes that were dear to her and much more.

We knew that at this point after coming home from the hospital for the final time, she only had days left on this earth. I wanted her to enjoy some donuts one last time. She liked that idea. At this point she had suffered more strokes and finally had to be put in a hospital bed at her house. She had already slid out of her own bed twice. We knew it was best to get her in the hospital bed to keep her from sustaining injuries. So, anyhow, I ended up going to 77 Donuts in Waxahachie on Highway 77. I ordered a couple dozen donuts. Can’t tell you how raw and hard it was knowing that our mom was really about to pass and from cancer. You wish there was something else that could be done to stop it. Anything.

The gentleman ,who took my order, asked if it was for my coworkers. I replied that they were for mom who was dying of cancer. He expressed his sympathies and wanted to know if she was prepared. I told him that she was and had been her entire life. Upon receiving my order he handed me a specially packaged donut and said to give her that one. Nobody knew that mom would be dead just two days later. She was only able to eat just a few tiny pieces of that blueberry donut, but I was so thankful she got to enjoy something so simple one last time. By that afternoon she could no longer eat solid food. I wanted to go back and thank the man again for his kindness and for the extra donut for mom, but didn’t want to get emotional. Sometimes a simple act of kindness can mean so much. Just thought I’d share this.

You don't always know what kind of a day a person is having. Kindness can/could always make it just a tad better.

Comment

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry about your Mom.I know how it feels and thanks for
        the positive message.

Comment

It costs absolutely nothing to be kind and as Mike says you never know what is going on in other’s lives. Something to think about for sure.

Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss.

Comment

Kindness is free but can be priceless to someone.
            Cancer sucks big ones!!!
            Prayers for you and your family.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for this post. YES cancer sucks!

Comment

Great testimony of a great act of kindness! I went through this with my mom 1&1/2 years ago. It’s a tough road to go down. My heart goes out to you & your family. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Thank you guys. Mom was a giver with a big heart just like dad. She helped many people as much as she possibly could. We were talking today about despite how bad she felt, she still insisted on going to jury duty that final time. She was weak and had trouble standing for very long. This was before the cancer diagnosis and strokes. In her weak condition, myself and siblings didn’t want her going to downtown Dallas. But she insisted and toughed it out. She couldn’t drive anymore.

Comment

My condolences. I am so sorry you lost your mother to cancer. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

Comment

So sorry for your loss.

Comment

Great story. Thanks for sharing that, and sorry for your loss

Comment

what a blessing it is to have a wonderful mom full of the spirit

Comment

So sorry for your loss. Great story. There is still some good in the world.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. Mom was definitely a giver and not a taker.

Comment

Working...
                              X