Shutter noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutter noise

Recently got my first DSLR (D40) and brought it to the stand this evening. Just had an 8pt at 30 yds downwind. He was already spooked so i started taking pics. He easily heard the shutter from that distance. Are higher end cameras any more quite?

I had a D40 and moved up to the D90. It's a tad bit more quiet, but I think the difference would be insignificant to the deer at 30 yards.

Did he run off after a few frames or stick around?

Comment

I have a Canon 50D and it makes alot of noise.

Comment

If a deer hasn't been spooked or hasn't winded you, the shutter doesn't usually bother them. They'll look up at the sound and then go back to eating most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          If a deer hasn't been spooked or hasn't winded you, the shutter doesn't usually bother them. They'll look up at the sound and then go back to eating most of the time.

Had that happen last week. Actually, he didn't even look up. 'Course I screwed the exposures all up but the deer cooperated.

Comment

I have a D80 and just like Shane said...the deer will look up for a second and then go right back to the feeding.

Comment

Thanks for the info. He had already winded me and was blowing so he wasnt going to stick around with or without the noise. I'll keep trying. Definitely need a longer lens. Just have the 18-55 kit lens for now. Can barely make him out in th photos.

Comment

I would recommend renting one from lensrentals.com before buying a new lens. That way you can see the quality of the pictures that you will be taking with it. I'm renting the same lens for a second time for this weekend and have had good success so far. With lenses, you get what you pay for. As far as shutter noise, I have noticed the same thing as others, deer will pick their heads up and look, but go back to eating. They do make silencers, which are like rubber jackets that fit around the camera, I haven't used one, but I may try one out at some point.

Comment

I've had deer at 10 yards never look my way. On the same ranch this weekend, at 20 yards, deer exploded when the Canon 50D was fired. I think it depends on wind, ambient noise, distance, mood of the deer and any other factors you want to blame. It's never the same response for me, it seems.

Comment

I second what Casey said. I had deer last weekend (wind at my back) want no part of the shutter slap from the D70 bolted out of there, course I'm sure they were already on their way...
                    Two weekends ago same distance wind in my face I was able to snap over 100 shots of a couple of deer that rarely looked my way at the sound.

Consider Nugent's First Law:
                    A deer which is calm tends to stay calm, while a deer who is spooked tends to stay spooked unless acted upon by an external force.

Comment

I have never had an animal spook because of the shutter. If they spooked, it was because of something else. I would not worry about your shutter spooking an animal.

Comment

Working...
                      X