1977 silverado fix up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 silverado fix up

So my kid is about to start driving. Instead of buying her a vehicle she and I are going to fix up my old truck for her. My dad bought this truck new in 1977, he was going to give it to me when I turned 16 that ended up being about 17 yrs late. It has 28,300 miles but 30 yrs of sitting in the yard getting baked.
    My plans are to replace sun rotted interior, update rims and tires to 16" or 17", shackle it, put a stereo in it, replace exhaust and some other little things here and there.
    So far I have replaced all fuel lines, belts, hoses, distributor cap, plugs & wires and rebuilt carb. I am hoping to knock this out in a month or two but we will see.
    Tips and opinions welcomed.

Now here's is what I am working with
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409019.478741.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	24943252

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409057.611641.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	24943253

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409082.154447.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24943254

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409111.217589.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	24943255

Engine compartment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409237.026243.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	24157060

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409255.657617.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24157061

Comment

While I am at it I will address the wood in the bed

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409341.744053.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	24157062

Comment

If I have anything thing you need, your welcome to it bro! also, if you need a hand holler.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          If I have anything thing you need, your welcome to it bro! also, if you need a hand holler.
          I might need a beverage expert from time to time.
          I think most of the stuff I am going to do should be easy.

Comment

That ride has massive potential. Good luck on the project

Comment

Originally posted by dadogg View Post
              That ride has massive potential. Good luck on the project
              Thanks. One day I would like to do a pretty extensive resto/mod to it. For now we are just going to get it decent looking and running good.
              Gotta tell you though I am a little nervous to let the kid drive it. Maybe that's why my dad didn't give it to me until I was in my 30s.

Comment

Thats a GREAT truck to start with right there. I have an 87 GMC jimmy that we are going to work on for my son.

Although its a blazer site, you may want to join another forum that i use regularly in addition to this one. its called:

chevyk5blazer.com. Then you need to get to the forum section from there. They break it down into the different areas of the vehicle, along with areas for Members Builds, pictures, etc.

Lots of great info on there that will apply to your rig as well. Hope that helps, and good luck with the build.

Comment

That will make a nice ride when your done.

Comment

Cool truck! I wanna restore one, one of these days....

Comment

I would stay with those old rims, we used to paint in the slots of those old turbines to match the trucks color.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                        Rbljack thanks for the info on the other forum. I will definitely check into it. Do you have the Sam screen name there? I will probably not use sparkles when I sign up.

Alright unbolted front seat will drop it off at upholstery shop Monday or Tuesday.

I will probably order carpet door panel and trim pieces today but will wait to yank that until I get new ones in my hands
                        Found some change and some 30 yr old matches and a bunch of misc trash

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357414352.697551.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	24157071
                        Don't know what I am going to do about that card board shelf but its pretty much toast. I think I will also replace seat belts
                        since I am already this far in.
                        Slingshot I was thinking about keeping the old rims, but I really want to go to a 16 I think it will pay off with tire selection. I will keep them around and use one as a spare, I may even just get new tires and push the rims back until I need tires again. That would free up some of my budget for other things.
                        Last edited by Sparkles; 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Probably should keep these since they are so awesome and the sound quality is amazing..... yeah right
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sparkles; 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Took out the card board shelf and some the sound deadening junk

While I have it apart I think I am going to try and knock out this dent some.

I can get right to it with some wood.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Sparkles; 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Not the best job but most popped out pretty easy and at least it doesn't stand out as bad

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357416315.267519.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	24157075
                              I will get some other smaller blocks and try and smooth it out. Not going to do any paint or anything for awhile so the couple dents it has arent a big concern to me at the moment.
                              Last edited by Sparkles; 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X