Kids are our future- Through them hunting lives on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids are our future- Through them hunting lives on

It seems after every weekend I see either threads talking about taking the kids to the lease or at least posts from parents/ mentors taking kids with them. They are all great stories and it almost always ends with the kids enjoying the hunt or outdoors.

Many times I come back from hunting after having the kids with me and have a cool little tale but not quite enough to warrant a whole thread dedicated to it, so I had an idea.
    Why not have a thread similar to the "eternal flame" thread but simply about us posting a quick line or two about getting the kids out. When you get back from a trip just throw up a post if there was something you might like to share because it sure seems that TBH'rs have a soft spot for kids. That way we have a place to post the simple things we see at the lease.

Of course there are going to be big stories about kids first deer or parents taking a deer with the kid there or a whole host of other things that would be thread worthy and those need to go on a thread of their own. This thread is for the little things we all get to enjoy and would like to share with the others.

I'll go first

Sounds good.I have an 11 year old that is hard core addicted to hunting and a 5 year old that is right behind him.

Comment

Last weekend I took Wyatt my 6yr old with me. First morning he made it for 10 mins before he fell a sleep in the floor of the blind. The evening became more eventful. I carry a laptop with earphones so he can watch a movie. i have a few deer about 80yds out feeding on acorns. I'm thinking they will eventually work their way in and I'll get my first doe of the season. Wyatt, not remembering he has head phones on blurts out "Ha, Ha Cory is riding his horse backwards and doesn't even know". I spin quick and say "shhhh" with fingers to the lips. No reason to get mad, heck I'm getting to hunt with my kids and he's enjoying being there.
      Wyatt looks at me and says "sorry dad, I was trying to whisper". Those words in themselves didn't get me tickled but the fact he never turned it down to tell me he was trying to whisper did. Guess a 6 yr old doesn't quite get the headphone- talking thing yet. Anyway we pull out of the lease and he's more than ready to go back.
      We had a great time with Shockvalue and his daughter Lily, the kids played till they were exhausted and then some. That's the way a lease should be for a kids

They are going next weekend with me so I'm sure I'll have another post or 2 knowing them

Comment

Great thread idea...
        I have many stories about my kiddos but this picture came to mind when I thought about posting. It really says a lot when you look at it. A little boy being a little boy in nature and nothing more.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350526867.320727.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	24129661
        We just closed on our ranch about two weeks ago and it has been awesome thus far. Shortly after this picture while riding in the rhino, he said "just think dad, one day it will be all mine"...
        Love my kids.... No drug on this earth that could give a man a high like loving his children and feeling it back.

Comment

Nice thread

Comment

Originally posted by mykidsdad View Post
            Great thread idea...
            I have many stories about my kiddos but this picture came to mind when I thought about posting. It really says a lot when you look at it. A little boy being a little boy in nature and nothing more.
            [ATTACH]407283[/ATTACH]
            We just closed on our ranch about two weeks ago and it has been awesome thus far. Shortly after this picture while riding in the rhino, he said "just think dad, one day it will be all mine"...
            Love my kids.... No drug on this earth that could give a man a high like loving his children and feeling it back.
            That's awesome right there.

Comment

Great shot!! This will be my son and I's first season hunting...Cant wait....

Comment

I have no specific stories at the moment (maybe later), but with our three sons in their 20s & 30s I am pleased that they all love hunting and go every chance they get. I'm hoping our youngest will at least stay in the area so he can go with me during the rifle season.

Comment

Originally posted by mykidsdad View Post
                  Great thread idea...
                  [ATTACH]407283[/ATTACH]
                  Greatness

Comment

Another one from this year. Two weekends ago was the 1st weekend I got to go and my Daughter, McKenzie (aka Goose on tbh) was with me. She's 13 and this will be her 4th year hunting. She was allowed to shoot a doe but her max distance was 15yds, period. She shoots well out to 30 but no reason not to shorten it and ensure success since their minds will be running wild at shot time anyway.
                    Well like clock work we have a big doe come in. She starts at the back of the feeder and works over to the side where I hand corned. 11yds, game on.
                    I look over and Kenz is shaking and not just a little, a lot. Here broadhead is bouncing in a 3in circle and the bow is still resting on here leg and the release isn't hooked up yet. This goes on for 20 mins because she will only 1/4 to us. Finally she works into position. Kenz does great, she waits for a big gust of wind and draws, completely unnoticed. She settles the pin on the back rib because now the doe is 1/4 away and holds for about 10-15 seconds gaining her composure. She then says in her best shake voice "are you ready?". Well yea I'm ready but I'm not the one shooting, I say make sure the pin is on her and take your time.
                    She releases, the shot is perfect right to left just 2 ft high. The doe jumps and looks at the arrow stomping from outside the feeder. She has no clue we are there. Kenz is shook up but hanging in there. She beyond worried the guys on the lease will be mad because she missed. They all support her and tell her it's all ok that we all have it happen at times.
                    That doe worked back in bet we never got her to turn again that morning, We'll try next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                      Another one from this year. Two weekends ago was the 1st weekend I got to go and my Daughter, McKenzie (aka Goose on tbh) was with me. She's 13 and this will be her 4th year hunting. She was allowed to shoot a doe but her max distance was 15yds, period. She shoots well out to 30 but no reason not to shorten it and ensure success since their minds will be running wild at shot time anyway.
                      Well like clock work we have a big doe come in. She starts at the back of the feeder and works over to the side where I hand corned. 11yds, game on.
                      I look over and Kenz is shaking and not just a little, a lot. Here broadhead is bouncing in a 3in circle and the bow is still resting on here leg and the release isn't hooked up yet. This goes on for 20 mins because she will only 1/4 to us. Finally she works into position. Kenz does great, she waits for a big gust of wind and draws, completely unnoticed. She settles the pin on the back rib because now the doe is 1/4 away and holds for about 10-15 seconds gaining her composure. She then says in her best shake voice "are you ready?". Well yea I'm ready but I'm not the one shooting, I say make sure the pin is on her and take your time.
                      She releases, the shot is perfect right to left just 2 ft high. The doe jumps and looks at the arrow stomping from outside the feeder. She has no clue we are there. Kenz is shook up but hanging in there. She beyond worried the guys on the lease will be mad because she missed. They all support her and tell her it's all ok that we all have it happen at times.
                      That doe worked back in bet we never got her to turn again that morning, We'll try next weekend.
                      If you aren't missing your not hunting.

Comment

Great idea Keep

Comment

My daughter (9) has been going with me for about 4 years now. Nearly all of my sets are either popups or ladder stands built for two.

Last weekend I made what I thought was an excellent shot on a turkey. We never did find it, but we had a good time hunting together. Game cam caught us looking for sign.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350529272.325301.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	24129677

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350529289.206867.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	24129678

She'll surely get to an age where going with dad hunting all the time isn't as "cool" as hanging with friends from school, but I'm certain she's hooked for life.

Comment

Cool idea for a thread Jim. Looking forward to many campfires in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by ovalohunter View Post
                              My daughter (9) has been going with me for about 4 years now. Nearly all of my sets are either popups or ladder stands built for two.

Last weekend I made what I thought was an excellent shot on a turkey. We never did find it, but we had a good time hunting together. Game cam caught us looking for sign.

[ATTACH]407308[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]407309[/ATTACH]

She'll surely get to an age where going with dad hunting all the time isn't as "cool" as hanging with friends from school, but I'm certain she's hooked for life.
                              Tell her to bring her friends with You.Some kids will never get a chance to go hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X