Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chino View Post
    Do I need to pay to get in?
    Sorry about that chino , yes all vehicles have to pay to enter unless you have a pass to launch your boat. I hope you still make it !

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
      I know there are plenty of proficient, ethical hunters out there using crossbows. No doubt. But some are not.
      As Coop stated, same is true with all types of hunters. When I first started hunting the lakes, Buckshot was the only legal means of taking a deer if you had a permit from the draw during the general season. Then there was a big discussion about how many deer were being injured, running off and die-n from wild shots with buckshot. So in 1990 ACE changed it to slugs. Homeowners were furious because a slug can carry a long way. But in the end. More deer were recovered by slug hunters than with buckshot. Still, both hunters were complaining about not being drawn by the lottery for slug hunting, and homeowners continued to complain about deer gun hunters. So the Whitney staff decided to make it archery only thinking it would solve the home owner issue. And open up the lands to more hunters. Now we still have hunters complaining about hunters. I wonder what ACE thinks about this.

Dedicated gun hunters hate archery. And said we should never have had a archery season. To many animals are injured by archery equipment and archers. That is why some lease owners do not allow archery. And that was before the xbow was ever thought about.
      When wheelie bows came on the scene, Trad shooters were up in arms that the compound was not true archery equipment. And should never be allowed. And it all goes a lot further than just hunting. It includes fishing, outdoor recreational sports, athletics, business, community living, ...everything.

You will find questionable acts where you look for them. What may be ethical or unethical, moral or immoral, in one culture, may not be in another. Ethics and morals change as a society changes. I'm just glad I live in Texas. And Texas is part of the USA where people like Coop and many others, fought so we have freedom and rights. Sure, there might be others out there that I don't like the way they do things even though they may be legal (or illegal). But more than that, I'm also thankful I have a place to hunt, the way I want, with-in the rules of this society.

Originally posted by chino View Post
      Do I need to pay to get in?
      Sam, I think it's $4 per person to get in for the day called a "Day Pass". It allows you to visit campers, fish, use the boat ramp, bathroom facilities, and everything else except occupy one of the campsites or picnic tables. Nor dose it allow to stay over night any where.

Comment

[QUOTE=Texas Grown;12725836]As Coop stated, same is true with all types of hunters. When I first started hunting the lakes, Buckshot was the only legal means of taking a deer if you had a permit from the draw during the general season. Then there was a big discussion about how many deer were being injured, running off and die-n from wild shots with buckshot. So in 1990 ACE changed it to slugs. Homeowners were furious because a slug can carry a long way. But in the end. More deer were recovered by slug hunters than with buckshot. Still, both hunters were complaining about not being drawn by the lottery for slug hunting, and homeowners continued to complain about deer gun hunters. So the Whitney staff decided to make it archery only thinking it would solve the home owner issue. And open up the lands to more hunters. Now we still have hunters complaining about hunters. I wonder what ACE thinks about this.

Dedicated gun hunters hate archery. And said we should never have had a archery season. To many animals are injured by archery equipment and archers. That is why some lease owners do not allow archery. And that was before the xbow was ever thought about.
        When wheelie bows came on the scene, Trad shooters were up in arms that the compound was not true archery equipment. And should never be allowed. And it all goes a lot further than just hunting. It includes fishing, outdoor recreational sports, athletics, business, community living, ...everything.

You will find questionable acts where you look for them. What may be ethical or unethical, moral or immoral, in one culture, may not be in another. Ethics and morals change as a society changes. I'm just glad I live in Texas. And Texas is part of the USA where people like Coop and many others, fought so we have freedom and rights. Sure, there might be others out there that I don't like the way they do things even though they may be legal (or illegal). But more than that, I'm also thankful I have a place to hunt, the way I want, with-in the rules of this society.

You hit the nail dead center on the head with that. This is a awesome resource we have access too. I fear with continued complaining about things will only limit and limit to where we one day drive by Whitney and say man I wish I could hunt, fish, etc there like we once did. Everything has trade offs and there's no one fix to satisfy everyone. I am just thankful I have a place I can access and enjoy myself. Be safe and good luck this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          OK guys here we Go! For this seasons opener on the 29th of September I will start cooking on the smoker for Friday night dinner. For those that made it last year it will be at PLOWMAN CREEK CAMPGROUND . We eat about 730 or 1930 for you in the military. Texas Grown, razorback,buckshot,Chino,coop, webstertroy,Ender, Homegrown justindfw and anyone else that wants to join us is welcome (that means also the ones who are new to this wonderful place we hunted. BYOB YOUR OWN CHAIRS ALSO not just the guys but your better half also. The camp site will be up on the hill just ask for the Ochoa campsite. There will be brisket, pork button and sausage. If your coming let me know, if you work with Kennyb let him know.
          I hope to see all for a good round of fellowship and story telling.
          Man, I would love to go, but going on a deep sea trip in Galveston on the 30th. Asked the guy at work today if it got canceled bc of the hurricane (hotel is taken by FEMA), but isn't, and he is looking for another hotel for all of us.

Comment

I agree with you TG. The Xbow thing during archery season has just always rubbed me the wrong way(unless you have a disability), so I'll throw my 2 cents out there every now and then just to vent. It's amazing how fast things can change. In most of the areas I hunted last year, I was in the minority using a compound. A lot of the guys I knew from previous years had even switched equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
              I agree with you TG. The Xbow thing during archery season has just always rubbed me the wrong way(unless you have a disability), so I'll throw my 2 cents out there every now and then just to vent. It's amazing how fast things can change. In most of the areas I hunted last year, I was in the minority using a compound. A lot of the guys I knew from previous years had even switched equipment.
              I understand what you are saying on the xbow. It takes less work to be perficient with a xbow. People are lazy by natural so give the majority a easier alternative and it's done.
              I am a hard core Bowhunter and the only way I go to a xbow is if in my life I become disabled.
              With that said if you choose to hunt with a xbow that's your business. Be perficient with whatever you hunt with. The animals deserves nothing less!

Comment

On the xbow vs. compound debate I have mixed opinions. Last year was my first year hunting Whitney and I made the decision to do so close to the opener. Being so, I settled with a xbow as I didn't feel comfortable in becoming proficient with a regular bow in time. I enjoy a challenge which drove my desire to ultimately hunt with a compound. Early this year I upgraded to a nice compound and have been practicing since then (haven't touched the xbow since other than to move it out of the way). I am ready to get in a tree and make my first harvest. I have spent many hours in the woods and put many miles exploring new areas this year. Look forward to meeting y'all out there this year.

Comment

Let's bump this up , I heard from a few of you but want to remind everyone that all of you are welcome to attend. Any doubts if I can handle a crowd you just have to look at my avatar. No one ever goes hungry around me!

Comment

Awful nice of you to extend the offer to folks you have never met. Count me in. What kind of beer do you drink?

Comment

Very nice, Storm!!!

I should be there, may be two more.

Comment

I'm still undecided on attending storm, it'll be up to my wife I suppose. I'll let you know when I get home from this hitch if I'm coming

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                          Awful nice of you to extend the offer to folks you have never met. Count me in. What kind of beer do you drink?

I'll have beer already, this is a time for friends to catch up and also meet new people.

Comment

Storm, I have 2 sites reserved... But I ain't saying where. Don't want no early morning shenanigans. [emoji33][emoji22][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                              Storm, I have 2 sites reserved... But I ain't saying where. Don't want no early morning shenanigans. [emoji33][emoji22][emoji23]
                              Well, that was pretty easy to figure out.

You've got a longer walk back to your trailer brother. And ya ain't really that much closer to the restrooms either.

Comment

Your in trouble now Buckshot!

Comment

Working...
                                X