No announcement yet.

I feel like a scumbag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is to learn something from this. Why did you hit the shoulder and not where you were aiming? Did the deer jump your string? Were you shooting from odd position causing inaccurate shot? Are you out of practice? Is your bow tuned? This has happened to us all and it always sucks, but use that energy to learn the "why it happened" and avoid repeating it. 2¢

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
      Call the Game Warden....

Been through the exact same thing. Game Warden is allowed to go over there, with or without permission, and recover the Wildlife Resource. Same reason they can basically search your property/vehicle without a warrant for Wildlife Resources. The State owns that Deer, not the landowner denying the right to search. GW can go retrieve the Deer for the State the subsequently transfer it into your ownership from there.
      Let's not spread this lie.

Game Warden can make a plea to the land owner but a no is a no.

Comment

If you did all you could to recover the deer, you’re not a scum bag. I lost the biggest buck I ever shot back in 2015, and it still ****** me off today. Deer are tough creatures, if he went a mile he may still live.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
          Call the Game Warden....

Been through the exact same thing. Game Warden is allowed to go over there, with or without permission, and recover the Wildlife Resource. Same reason they can basically search your property/vehicle without a warrant for Wildlife Resources. The State owns that Deer, not the landowner denying the right to search. GW can go retrieve the Deer for the State the subsequently transfer it into your ownership from there.
          Hmmm. I got a call a couple of months ago from a game warden asking for permission to access my property. Someone had wounded an axis that got across the fence. It was in Menard county. What puzzles me is how he got my cell phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

A Game Warden is a Officer of the Law. He too needs probable cause, just like any other law enforcement officer. If the land owner says No then its a No.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Hmmm. I got a call a couple of months ago from a game warden asking for permission to access my property. Someone had wounded an axis that got across the fence. It was in Menard county. What puzzles me is how he got my cell phone number.

Are you listed as legal property owner of the place? If so, your name will show up as owner on the CAD map. From there it’s as simple as using google to locate your number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

…happens to us all bro.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                  A Game Warden is a Officer of the Law. He too needs probable cause, just like any other law enforcement officer. If the land owner says No then its a No.

Probable cause would be the blood trail leading into the land they’re trying to access. That’s what the GW that recovered our Buck that crossed used as his. He was adamant that we be able to show him that blood trail when he got there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    shoulder shot and went 1 mile. THat blows me away

What lb bow?
                    Why does that blow you away??

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                      …happens to us all bro.
                      X2 keep your chin up!

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

All I know is...

We called him first, he said you guys request permission and if they tell you no call me back and I will go over there myself and recover the Buck whether they agree or not. We called, they said no way. About 45mins later the GW showed up, we showed him where the blood trail went under the fence. He said, you guys stay here at the fence and wait. About 20 mins later here came the GW with the buck in tow.

Comment

There's not many deer that I've shoulder shot that did not show back up later completely healed. I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like you did everything you could.

Comment

Bad shots are an unfortunate part of hunting. All you can do is keep practicing, focus on fixing whatever went wrong the last time, and try to take ethical shots when the animal is positioned right.

I shoulder punched a doe in 2016 and never recovered her. It sucked, but at least I knew I made an ethical decision on shooting her when she was quartering away slightly. Unfortunately, I just didn't execute the shot as well as I'd hoped, and she ninja turned in the process which made a pretty bad shot into a horrible shot. Felt horrible about it, but it's like a QB throwing an interception. Review the tape, see what you did wrong and then adjust. You've got to put it behind you and focus on the next possession.

Ahead of 2017 I upped my practice regiment, and focused on shooting deer shaped targets vs dots, and was fortunate enough to heart shot my buck and double-lung my doe last year. I'm hoping for the same result this year if I can ever get a shooter to cooperate. Good luck to you and don't beat yourself up too bad!

Comment

What is done is done, got to let it go. If he went a mile and was still jumping fences, I bet he will live to get shot at another day.

Comment

I bet when her husband gets home you'll get a call to come look. That doesn't surprise me. Could see my grandmother saying the same thing, with good intentions, if a stranger popped up asking to look around.
                                Last edited by Fmjag64; 11-14-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X