Newton Units 122 & 125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newton Units 122 & 125

With the bow season nearing its end has anybody looked at or planning to scout archery only units 122 and/or 125 in Newton

Haven't heard of these in awhile, thats deep east texas, is what they say about the poaching/spotlighting and *******es running around true.

Comment

I have heard that the the TPWD had problems with Unit 122 which is why they made it archery only. I went over there after my last hunt in Moore Plantation WMA and there is a lot of denuded forest on the slopes but some hardwoods in the valleys. However, the area was bordered in some places by local residence and I felt somewhat uncomfortable nosing around the area alone. I wouldn't like to be the only one camping in there. I did see some deer tracks, but with so many trees gone the area looks more like a war zone, especially Unit 125.

Comment

I live in Newton county and will asure you you have nothing to worry about if you go into these units. No one will bother you. The woods are still a mess from Rita two years ago but there are some great deer in these wood.

Comment

just watch deliverance before you camp out alone over there. ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by hand grenade View Post
            just watch deliverance before you camp out alone over there. ha ha

now thats just wrong!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Forestk...we hunted there once last year on opening day of gun season...look at your map and find the powerline right of way to the north...we saw several does and a buck not 50 yrds off the road there....they ran out of the woods not 10 yrds from where some guy was pulled up and straight towards our truck, not bad for being there about 30 seconds...google the area and you will see there is a major creek just to the north of the powerline...if you are interested I will tell you about another very good looking spot we found...be forewarned the skeeters are real bad and them is some thick, thick woods, unless you are along a clear cut or a creek...good luck Rick

Comment

what exactly did the hurricane do to this place?

Comment

DFW...I did not observe any noticeable hurricane damage last year at least in the areas we hunted. There are/were a lot of clear cut areas both new and old. The Angilina National Forest was torn up pretty bad with a lot of large downed trees. Pine trees generally just snap like matches, oaks and other hardwoods go over and rip a major part of the root system out of the ground leaving a large crater where the tree was growing. That was 2 yrs. ago in the Angilina, it had been cleaned up by the forest service a lot by last year, at least what you could see from the roads.

Comment

The woods are a wreck some the only areas that are not are the parts that were already clear cut or have been totaly pushed to be reseeded. The woods being a mess are sort of a good thing though, as you know deer will normaly travel the path of least resistance so you can use the wreckage to your advantage.

Comment

Hello all, this is my first post on TBH. I have been throught 122 several times this year and each time I'd see evidence of the "running of the dogs", I.E. trucks with dog boxes (probably coon hounds, huh), dogs walking down the road, and trailing deer, two different packs "tuned up" and on the move. This is really irritating while on the stand and you have dogs running right through your area.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X