No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How was everyone else's season? I feel like I ground my fingers to the bone and still have nothing to show for it. I know big lig put some meat in the freezer. How'd the rest of y'all do? I'm thinking about doing way more scouting before I put in for next year. Gonna be out at Tejas for whites and crappie in the spring anyway. Might as well put boots on the ground in some unfamiliar territory while I'm at it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
      How was everyone else's season? I feel like I ground my fingers to the bone and still have nothing to show for it. I know big lig put some meat in the freezer. How'd the rest of y'all do? I'm thinking about doing way more scouting before I put in for next year. Gonna be out at Tejas for whites and crappie in the spring anyway. Might as well put boots on the ground in some unfamiliar territory while I'm at it.

I ended up with one in the freezer. I lost another. Should have been buck hunting, but just didnt come together for me. The lack of mature does made it almost impossible for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

One bad decision tracking a doe change the trajectory of the whole season, she went left and I went right. I got my two doe, learned a lot, but not being able to find that doe ended up costing me two opportunities at good bucks.

Originally posted by Deaf View Post

Comment

Pretty sure coyotes were hunting the herd coming around my feeder. Found 2fawns and 2 bucks eaten and spread out, just about a couple weeks in between each find. Closest i got to a shot was having one or more push through the woods and bushes behind me in the ground blind but never came into any of my windows. Good lessons learned, definitely going to try again for tags next year.
          Now I’m hoping to scout some pigs @ granger before it gets too **** hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone know the final counts taken this year?

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
              Not real sure, but with like 3 weeks left, I believe I heard it was somewhere around 40 doe and 4 bucks taken. I could be off on this and more were probably harvested between then and end of the season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be interested to know as well. If they were thinking about extending the season into February that tells me not enough deer were shot.

Originally posted by topduarte View Post

Comment

I just emailed Jewel at the Georgetown office.

Comment

Any idea how many Hunters were drawn there to hunt this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Texasboy_fitnes View Post
                      Any idea how many Hunters were drawn there to hunt this year?
                      Page 110 shows 37 exempt and a total of 100 permits issued.

I am guessing there are less exempt this year.

Comment

Went out yesterday to pull gear and decided to do a little scouting and finally found the doe I lost earlier this year. Man, had I found her in time it would have changed my whole season.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
                          Went out yesterday to pull gear and decided to do a little scouting and finally found the doe I lost earlier this year. Man, had I found her in time it would have changed my whole season.

How far had she gone from where shot? I read your write up on the hunt.

Comment

She was 136 yards from where I shot her.

It's just so dang thick
                            Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                            How far had she gone from where shot? I read your write up on the hunt.

Comment

It was a disappointment for me this year too. Had a good shot at a doe on opening day and held off thinking that I would have plenty of chances to shoot deer based upon what I had been seeing on my trail cam.

Lesson learned: Never pass on a deer on the first day of the season that you would be happy to have on the last day of the season.

That being said, I learned quite a bit for my first season of bow hunting. I'll do a better job of concealing my stand next year, for one. I'll also choose my spot a little more wisely next time, too. I was in the Section 6a/6b area and I thought it should be relatively quiet, e.g. not so much foot traffic on the trail paths and not so many campers, being that it seemed to be fairly remote. Wrong on both counts. There wasn't a day I hunted that there wasn't either a bunch of kids camping on the weekends or people hiking the trails. If drawn this year, I'm not sure where I'll set up, but I'll make sure do to a lot more scouting ahead of time.
                              While it seemed like a waste of time at the end of season, looking back I really enjoyed all the time I spent out at my stand and will be excited for the season to come...with hopefully better luck!

Comment

Well still no decision on the 2020-2021 season. Just looked at the website and it has last season's info.

Called the other week and was told no decision but keep checking website.

Hope with more and more places opening, they figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X