No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa NWR 1/10-1/12 Rifle Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll second what Darkarcher said; we were told at orientation that the first helicopter hunt of the year started on 1/9/20 and that it was on the north side of the arroyo.

A few take aways from the hunt & area:

1.)The staff and federal game wardens were first class. Great people with great attitudes.

2.) Nilgai are much larger than deer, and the entire hide has to come out, so I strongly suggest bringing a cart. I didn't bring a cart, and once I was told that everything but the guts had to come out, I decided not to shoot a nilgai any further than a mile from my truck. Naturally, I never saw one that close to my truck...

3.) I never saw a snake, but I rocked snake boots the whole weekend anyway.

4.) Mosquitoes were not a problem, but the wind was over 30 mph nearly the entire time I was down there.

5.) On scout day I jumped a 10-12 point buck that was well over 20" wide, so there are some dandy bucks down there. I got 30 yards from him before he jumped and ran, and I had no idea he was there until he bolted. He was bedded in a field with a doe, and when he ran, he never flipped his flag, he never stopped to get a second look at me, and he didn't wait on his girlfriend. He just ran to the other side of the horizon like he was late for a meeting.

6.) I do not recommend staying in a tent at Adolph Thomae Park! The tent area is near the entrance (heavy vehicle traffic), right next to one of the fishing piers (people fishing and talking all night long), and the park seems to be a hot spot for the locals on the weekends (plenty of cans popping and music playing). One other thing, and this is not a joke, someone defecated in the only urinal in the men's bathroom. Let me repeat that: someone defecated in the only urinal in the men's bathroom. If I am lucky enough to get drawn again, I will spring for a hotel room or an Airbnb.

I was able to pop a spike, so at least I brought home some meat! Fun hunt, fun place, and I hope to be drawn again!

Comment

TGKIL, that is just nasty. Sick people

Comment

Great info on here. Hoping to get drawn next year!

Comment

Working...
        X