No announcement yet.

Barrel recommendations for rem 700 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Kreiger, Bartlein and Hart barreled custom rifles.

I like my Krieger and Bartlein the best. They just flat out shoot. My Hart shoots very good too (1-1/2" @ 500) but my Krieger and Bartlein are just a hair better.

You can save some $$$ buy buying the parts yourself and figure out who you want to do the machine work for you.

On my Kreiger barreled build I had my local smith do it and it's a freakin unbelievable shooter. It's a 257 Weatherby and it shoots 5 shots @ .28" with factory Weatherby ammo. This is shooting off a bipod and a rear bag on a mediocre bench.
    I had Bartlein and Hart chamber and fit may other barrels that I bought from them.

I recommend you put a faster twist rate barrel on your 22-250 so you can use heavier bullets and shoots hogs and deer. I had my 22-250 Ackley with a 1:8 twist. I'll be shooting 75 grain Swift Scirocco bullets for deer and pigs. So far those are pushing along at 3600 fps.

If you are wanting a local guy I highly recommend my smith Todd at Markmen Firearms in Mansfield. His work is top notch.

I met Robert and the guys at Alamo at DSC and they seem like stand up guys as well.

Comment

Did a quick search & Look at the equipment list...now from what I remember the BR guys are pretty much a bunch of copy cats & maybe Blake can expand on this as he has more experience with formal comp. I remember when it was mixed with Harts & Shilens many years ago.

You can see this trend with all the BAT actions, when it used to be Pandas & Farleys. Also note all the Kreiger & Bartlein bbls as well. My personal feeling is all the good mfg's can make a hummer bbl & a great square action that will win any competition. However, if the best shooters are all using the same equipment that doesn't mean it is necessarily the best...only that the best shooters are using them & could have likely won with a Shilen / Hart or Farley / Panda. It reallyboils down to who can read the conditions & having confidence in your gun.

One thing that is hard to argue is your are going to win with a 6ppc or lose with a 6ppc in the short range game. A little more diversity on the gunsmith line & bullets...N133 still rules in the powder.

Look for the equipment list attachments in the forums...pretty neat stuff & amazing shooting skills.

Comment

Don't be scared of a Broughton...and you might be able to cut down on on waiting time vs. a Kreiger or Barlein

Comment

What's the average wait time on a kreiger or barlein? My plan is to build a accurate heavy barrel range/ varmint gun.

Comment

From their site (scroll to bottom) but Blake may have an in on a quicker one. I can't speak for Bartlein.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              From their site (scroll to bottom) but Blake may have an in on a quicker one. I can't speak for Bartlein.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com
              Thanks read thru the website but looked right past that area I guess

Comment

Done the same. The have A LOT of info on their site.

Comment

I have a Mcgowen because I didn't want to wait on a Shilen. My buddy built the same rifle as me but bought a Shilen. Both are very impressive shooters and I highly recommend either one.

Comment

Fwiw Bartlein quoted me 9-12 months and had mine back to me in 4 months.

I actually had to wait on my stock because I thought I had a lot of time to order it.

Comment

Krieger

Comment

MIKED I know you suggested a 1:8 twist and was thinking that but any insight on how a lower grain group with that fast of a twist? Say like 50 grain.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck_hunter11 View Post
                          MIKED I know you suggested a 1:8 twist and was thinking that but any insight on how a lower grain group with that fast of a twist? Say like 50 grain.
                          I shoot 50 grain VMAX through mine at 3900fps with no issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I shoot 50 grain VMAX through mine at 3900fps with no issues at all.
                            Awesome, thanks

Comment

Here's my 22-250 Ackley.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Here's my 22-250 Ackley.

Good looking rifle.

Comment

Working...
                                X