Switching bows...arrow spine question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching bows...arrow spine question?

Well wouldn't you know I just got my Hoyt all tuned up with a fresh set of Beman 400's and along came a used Mathews I just couldn't pass up. Now my problem is on the spine charts going to a single cam bow in the 65-70 lb. range my 400's are showing too weak. I really hate to buy new arrows if I don't have to. The 400's are showing marginal if I drop the poundage into the low 60's. Would that work for now until I need new arrows? I don't mind shooting low 60's for now. If it is marginal at best, I could always sell the 400's and buy 340's but I may push my wife over the edge!!!

how long will the arrow be?

Comment

Sorry about that...they are cut 29" and my DL is 28"

Comment

drop the poundage on the bow, mid to low 60's is where its at!

Comment

I'd cut them a little shorter personally.. of course it depends on your rest, but if you can get that arrow closer to 27" the 400 spine is perfect for you at 65lbs

Comment

Roger that! Which brings up a side question. I don't have a bow scale so if I max out the limb bolts...is there a set amount of turns I can back them out to hit low 60's or is the only safe way to do it with a draw weight scale?

Comment

Compounds run better over spined than under spined. Id drop poundage and/or cut them shorter

Comment

Originally posted by duck'n View Post
                Roger that! Which brings up a side question. I don't have a bow scale so if I max out the limb bolts...is there a set amount of turns I can back them out to hit low 60's or is the only safe way to do it with a draw weight scale?
                Yes every bow has max turns that it can be backed out. You'll need to find that out first.

It's probably between 2.5 - 4 lbs per full turn.. You should be able to find the info on the web.

Comment

i shoot a mathews z7 the spine chart for the maximas i shoot say i should be shooting no less than a 350g arrow and i shoot 250s all day long idk how much i trust spine charts!!

Comment

I shoot a Z7 with easton axis mfx infused 340's if that helps. I'm at 70lbs and they shoot phenomenal with a 100 grain slick trick. 28.5" draw and 27 3/4" arrows. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by coopaloop108 View Post
                      i shoot a mathews z7 the spine chart for the maximas i shoot say i should be shooting no less than a 350g arrow and i shoot 250s all day long idk how much i trust spine charts!!
                      I think you are confusing spine and weight. Your arrow will weigh more than 250 grains, but have a 250 spine.

Comment

Working...
                      X