Scare Hog??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scare Hog??

Any discing at my place results in immediate hog arrival and rooting. Really bad. Next year I am wanting to put in a dove plot and a deer plot. Nothing big maybe 2 acres each. I do not want to invest all the time, energy and money into this endeavor just for the hogs to come in after and root it all to pieces. So until it gets growing and the ground becomes more solid with roots do yall think I could put out a Scarecrow kinda feller, a Scarehog? Bright clothing and maybe pee on him a lot for human scent?

FYI, I am being serious here.

Brainstorming..................................... ....what about a radio on a solar charger?

Comment

How about an electric fence around the plot to keep them out?

Comment

you could have a heavily baited trap right next to your plots. i haven't heard of a scarecrow for hogs but it could work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

It might work worth a try. Maybe sit out there and start blasting them?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Put a picture of my ex-wife up, that will keep them away for sure.

Comment

Maybe scarecrow for a bit and replace it with yourself and pick them off. Might need lights on him at night so maybe solar lights? Like spot lights on him and parts of the field. Make it feel like a 24 hour work site

Comment

Originally posted by savage1134 View Post
                Put a picture of my ex-wife up, that will keep them away for sure.
                laughed out loud on this one haha

Comment

I should add I am in Leon County. I am in the epicenter of the hog problem. in TX They are smarter than all get out too. I have a cell camera and watch their behavior. They actually will wait for us to drive down the road and will immediately come out.

All go ideas gents, keep em coming. I would add I am really not ready to invest in an electric fence though that would obviously work. Blasting them would only work until I left and then they would come back out. Radio on a solar charger sounds like a good idea. Intermittent lighting and movement of the scarehog are also things I have been thinking of.

Comment

Honestly the best way to keep them out would be a fence. Trapping would probably be the best bet outside of that.

With scare tactics, most animals adapt pretty quickly to whatever is introduced.

Comment

Anything you set out to scare them you will have to constantly change to give it a different look and or smell. Like you said, hogs are very smart and will learn quick. If they keep seeing the same thing in the same spot, they will learn it's no danger and that's why I say you will have to keep changing it. With that said, I'm not sure what you can put out to scare them because they are going to have to see it and/or smell it at night in order for it to work. Peeing will not work but you might be able to put out a stinky shirt but even that they will get used to as I've seen it before. A radio might work turned up fairly loud since the sound will be constantly changing. I really believe a electric fence is your best chance to keep them out and you could probably do it for around $300-$500.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                        Anything you set out to scare them you will have to constantly change to give it a different look and or smell. Like you said, hogs are very smart and will learn quick. If they keep seeing the same thing in the same spot, they will learn it's no danger and that's why I say you will have to keep changing it. With that said, I'm not sure what you can put out to scare them because they are going to have to see it and/or smell it at night in order for it to work. Peeing will not work but you might be able to put out a stinky shirt but even that they will get used to as I've seen it before. A radio might work turned up fairly loud since the sound will be constantly changing. I really believe a electric fence is your best chance to keep them out and you could probably do it for around $300-$500.
                        Sounds like we need to thin their groups a bit.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang, looks like Im gonna have to consider an electric fence. Will have to do two separate ones as the the two plots are separated by a 1 acre tank. Was hoping to not have to go to the trouble but I guess if I am going to do the plots I will have to make that investment.

But I still want to build a scarehog because I mean come on. That's just awesome to have a scarecrow or scarehog. My daughter would love building one.

Comment

Would a sensor/timer activated propane cannon work?

How about a motion activated scarecrow sprinkler? Got any water wells out there to tap in to?
                            Last edited by BaconIsMyFriend; 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I know an electric fence won't keep them out of the garden. Tried it and when it hit them they would just thrash around and knock the fence down then come right on in.

Comment

Working...
                              X