Need heavy duty varmint cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need heavy duty varmint cage

Where and which brand? I bought some of the bass pro square ones and a couple of bucks tore it up. I have a couple that are similar but are more heavy duty. I originally bought a couple from academy but there were super light weight so I returned them and bought the ones from bass pro. It turns out they were too light weight as well bc they were torn up by deer. Any suggestions ? These are going on 55 gal drum feeders. Picture of the one the deer tore up below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make my own out of 1/2" square tubing and the panel mesh. Holes are a little over 2" and never had a coon problem with them tearing anything up inside it. That would be my suggestion. I just weld it to the bottom of the barrel.

Comment

You will have to have one made if you want heavy duty. How tall is your feeder the bucks are damaging? I use Eliminator Spinner plates on mine without cages. My feeder control unit is about 5.5' off the ground on my feeders though.

Comment

It's about chest high here is a pic

Comment

This is what i make. I can hang from them. 1.25 expanded metal. Use red iron beam clamps with wing nuts welded on, so no tool needed. Have not had one issue since I started making them 5 years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tbone3636 View Post
            It's about chest high here is a pic

Not much different than mine for height. What could be happening is the feeder is angled just a bit and the bucks have learned to knock corn off by hitting the feeder cage. You might try one eliminator spinner plate on yours to see if it helps. I have had them for 5 yrs now with no problems.
            Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

one of the culprits is no longer with us.... dressed out at 189 lbs

Comment

Ive had one like the one in your pic on mine for several years now with no problems

this year I lowered the feeder 2ft because the ground was soft and one side was sinking

I will build a custom one this year if they tear it up

Comment

I weld scrap plate and put hole for a r-bar . Wont sink in and don't move.

Comment

Originally posted by trx250r View Post
                    I weld scrap plate and put hole for a r-bar . Wont sink in and don't move.

Yep

Comment

That looks good.

Comment

Working...
                      X