Eradicate Them All Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eradicate Them All Question

So I've developed good repoire with the farmer who has given me permission to hunt eliminate hogs on his property. In conversation I told him about what I saw the other night hunting (skunks, coons and coyotes). His comment was, "kill 'em all." He says he's constantly shooting coons and skunks up by the house and barn and now wants me to eradicate as many of them as possible.

I know this sounds like a fun excuse to pull the trigger but...

How will this effect/affect hog hunting? I had no hogs come out that night but man were they making a bunch of noise all around me. My question is this, when I shoot these coons and skunks and coyotes should I leave them out in the field or pick them up and drag them out. They usually come out much earlier then the hogs but will scenting up the place affect the hogs. Will the dead varmints out in the field also effect/affect the hogs.

The other question is if I pull the trigger on a skunk right between he eyes will he/she/it blow his bladder and stink up the place? Where should I shoot skunks to stop them from scenting?

Thanks in advance.

90% of the time a skunk will spray no matter where you shoot them!! About leaving them in the field hogs will eat just about anything

Comment

dead varmints are natural in the outdoors....if anything the smell of blood should pull them to the carcass....

Comment

Originally posted by JMAR View Post
        About leaving them in the field hogs will eat just about anything
        The second buck, I ever shot with a bow, was being molested by a big boar hog within 20 minutes of the time I shot him. By the time my friend and I walked to his truck and drove back, the hog was there trying to eat the rear end out of the deer. I borrowed friend's 300 mag and put a stop to that nonsense!

Comment

pigs will eat anything

Comment

maybe use this as a reason to learn how to trap coons and yotes. Might also shoot a few one sight from the stand.

Comment

thanks ladies and gentlemen. headed out on Tuesday night. May purchase an electronic call but that seems kinda stupid since the farmer doesn't want them there in the first place. yet he told me to put out a feeder to keep them in the field. does that make sense or should we not put a feeder out?

Comment

Shoot the skunks at your own risk. We had a skunk fall into the bottom of an elevator pit in an unfished building. Heating and air guy went to his truck and brought back a 22 rifle. He swore up and down that if a skunk is shot in the head, he will not be able to spray since his pea brain will be splattered. I called "ballderdash" and told him he was very mistaken. He shot from about 5 yards, brain shot and...wait for it...wait for it...he stunk the place up for months since the concrete pit absorbed the spray. Had to put stick ups in the elevator after building was opened months later!!!

Comment

Dang,i know hogs eat meat,snakes,ect. but a skunk? i didnt think even a buzzard will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by gusman View Post
                    Dang,i know hogs eat meat,snakes,ect. but a skunk? i didnt think even a buzzard will do that.
                    Actually, I think turkey vultures and california condors are the only two birds that have a well developed sense of smell. There favorite food is skunks since they can smell one from miles away in the air currents.

Comment

I don't know that I'd want my arra back after shooting a skunk

Comment

Hogs do eat anything, we had a poacher shoot one of my older black bucks so i removed the head and placed the carcus infrot of my cuddieback to try and get pictures of the poacher, i did get pics of hogs fighting for and dragging the carcus all over the place

Comment

Remember the movie "Snatch"... the old man said the best way to dispose of a body is to feed it to hogs... they eat them bones and all. I figured it was based on some truth cause they seem to maul everything.

Comment

I saw the heading on this post and thought we were talking about politicians. Oh well, maybe next time...

Comment

Remember the movie "Snatch"...
                              "Never trust a pig farmer"

Comment

Working...
                              X