Electric Fence and Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Fence and Food Plots

Does anyone use electric fencing while their foodplots are getting established?

I bought a charger from a fellow TBHer and when I went to get some fencing supplies the guy at the store tried to talk me out of using electric fence to keep the deer out as he believed that if a deer got hit by the fence once they would never try and come in again..

Any thoughts on that? I mean I've seen cows poped by them and walk 10 feet around those suckers the next time they came close

Any thought would be appreciated.. I have cows so the electric fence would be nice to keep them out of the plot..

I've fenced off several things with an electric fence and the deer always come back. If the deer want in there a simple low elec fence like for cattle won't even slow them down

Comment

Thanks for asking this Leftridge.

Comment

you could use the yellow tape wire were the deer would identify the yellow tape with the shock of the electric fence that is what I have used before

Comment

On a postive note Lefty.... I should have the rear tire fixed on the tractor by this weekend...

Comment

If anybody comes to the whitetail deer institute field day in march, Dr. kroll is doing some reseach on a three strand system with one of the strands placed about three feet behind the other two strands. Because deer have poor depth preception this system seems to be working pretty well. The whole point of the fence is not to keep 100% of the deer out but just keep the majority of them out until the plot gets going (this is especially important for peas).

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
              If anybody comes to the whitetail deer institute field day in march, Dr. kroll is doing some reseach on a three strand system with one of the strands placed about three feet behind the other two strands. Because deer have poor depth preception this system seems to be working pretty well. The whole point of the fence is not to keep 100% of the deer out but just keep the majority of them out until the plot gets going (this is especially important for peas).
              Ya, I've seem his stuff.. Although maybe a bit bias as he is working with one specific electric fence company (Gallagher).. At least that is my impression. It is the system I think I'm going to try.

Comment

It won't take them long to figure out the fence is not there once you remove it.

Benefits outweigh the costs IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by skyhawk View Post
                  It won't take them long to figure out the fence is not there once you remove it.

Benefits outweigh the costs IMO.
                  Can't remove it.. I have cows on my land..

Maybe I should just double fence it but not electric.. Not sure how good an idea that is with cows though..

Comment

I have used an electric fence in the past on food plots and will be putting up another one in the coming months. I have had better luck with a single wire positioned high enough that the fawns can go under, the older deer just jump.

I have never noticed a reduction in activity in a area that has been fenced. I am sure a some of them have gotten nailed but it did not impact deer acitvity, they either learn to go under or jump!

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
                      I also worked with the Gallagher fence in New York and it would keep the deer out, but you have to keep the weeds killed around the wires cause the dew on the leaves can cause the wires to short out.

BTW I'll also be out at Dr. Krolls field day so hope to see anyone there

Comment

went to Dr Krolls a couple of years ago, lots of good info. The Gallagher system does work, I put it up in the fall each year to let my peas get established, take it down just a few days before bow season, deer all over it.

Comment

be careful the cows don't get tangled in it ...ours did and my buddy has had to rerun his twice now, I just put up panels.
                          Good luck and check it often.

Comment

Electric fence works...I was worried that it wouldn't but it did. Try it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0511 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	23919573

Name:	100_0509 (Medium).JPG
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	23919572

Name:	100_0521 (Medium).JPG
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	23919574

Name:	100_0522 (Medium).JPG
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	23919575

Name:	100_0523 (Medium).JPG
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	23919576

Comment

did you take it down after it blossomed?

Comment

Working...
                              X