No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already saw the pigs lacing up their Nikes for this weekend....

Comment

I'm heading out tomorrow hopefully late morning, early afternoon. I'll be in Pecan grove just depends on the direction of the wind where I will drop in. Thinking I will proably just top off my feeder and head to San Gabriel just because I typically have only been seeing pig in the evenings at my spot and it seems like they are moving in from the North.

Comment

Heading below the dam now.

Comment

Thanks for the advice ya'll

Comment

Hey fellas,

New to the forum, but not new to bowhunting. I will be coming out with TXFireFighter on Friday, after my softball team gets done with our game @ 4:30.

The wife is going out of town with my daughter, so I am going hunting for pork.

TXFireFighter told me about this site, so give him a referral fee or something. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
              Hey fellas,

New to the forum, but not new to bowhunting. I will be coming out with TXFireFighter on Friday, after my softball team gets done with our game @ 4:30.

The wife is going out of town with my daughter, so I am going hunting for pork.

TXFireFighter told me about this site, so give him a referral fee or something. LOL!
              Welcome to the fire!! Cant wait till this weekend.

Went out this mourning. Gourgous mourning. Didnt go below the dam cause the wind was wrong. Got to my second spot with ample time to spare. I was in place right at daylight. Made my way south after checking a few spots. At 815 I heard a group sound off so I made toward them with the wind in my favor. I was within 30 yards of them and could hear them in the brush but couldnt see them. I picked out a opening that I felt they would come out to. As I waited for them to hit the opening to my right out of the brush walks a Huge Sow. I swung over to her, drew and fired with her at 20 yards. She was slightly angling toward me and I hit just behind the front shoulder. I watched her run off and then heard the others so I ran toward them trying to cut them off, they got to far ahead of me and made there way across the trail I was on, about 20 of them. All Sizes. Waited an hour to look for my pig. Found the back part of my arrow, just below the fletching. Good penetration. Found the blood trail and trailed it for 50 yards to a fence crossing to private land. Oh well, what yah gonna do? Good shot, good penetration and good blood with bubbles. Im sure she wasnt to far in the brush on the other side of the fence. Made my way out and down below the dam to check a few spots and saw 4 guys hunting together and they had 5 others hunting the opposite side of the woods. I asked them if they were working with the wind in there favor and they said " these pigs dont worry about the wind" I politely said ok with a grin on my face.
              See yall this weekend!!

Comment

I went out this afternoon for a few hours and i did go below the **** simply because I wanted to get my trail cam but made a huge circle so I could work back into the wind. I picked up my cam and topped off my feed tube and then slowly started working my way back to the gate (about 2.5 miles). I was not seeing anything until I was about a mile from the truck and wouldnt you know it, a group of 10 to 12 piggies across the ravine sounding off and no way for me to get across to get a shot. Had I come in the way I normally do I could have worked back up that side and would have run right into them and would have had the wind in my favor. Oh well, guess I have to keep trying, I was actually suprised to see them at that time of day around 1:30. Rode around the lake just to see how busy and pretty much every gate in San Gabriel had quite a few vehicles. Hope some folks are having better success than me.

I am praying I dont have to work this weekend so I can make it out, keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Heading out hunting soon kicking off the weekend early I will see everybody there.

Comment

Me and a buddy are heading out to Granger in the Early AM hope to be out their by first light. We were thinking about hitting Pecan Grove area but are not real sure. First time to hunt Granger so going to try to get their early and stay late. Any tips would be great.

Comment

If i was you I would hit pecan grove. Cause san gabriel unit is going to be covered up with hunters. I would also say hunt the south side of the river in that unit. It is much bigger than the N side and has lots ground to cover. Also if you cross the creeks I would mark on gps where you crossed and plan on returning there. One day we crossed in one spot and my buddy was sure he knew where we were. 5 30 in the am we finally got back to the truck. The little creek we crossed turned out to be the spill way further down the trail. 13 mile trip that day and night.

Comment

Originally posted by Suttle1976 View Post
                        Me and a buddy are heading out to Granger in the Early AM hope to be out their by first light. We were thinking about hitting Pecan Grove area but are not real sure. First time to hunt Granger so going to try to get their early and stay late. Any tips would be great.
                        Pecan grove was pretty empty yesterday when I was out so i would agree would Dirty and say that is a good place to start. Either park at the spillway where all of the fisherman are hanging out or if you go down 1331 a little farther there is a parking spot and you can head in on the southside of the creek, there is a lot of territory to cover out that way.

Not sure what the wind is doing today but if you head in at the spillway I would go down the southside of the San Gabriel and work around the bloodweeds and dense areas, I saw around 10-12 in that area around this time yesterday.

Comment

Hit the San Gabriel Unit this morning and late yesterday afternoon. I was on the north side of the San Gabriel. Saw a bunch of deer yesterday. Came across a pack of 4-6 medium sized blackies this morning, I was playing hide and seek with them for about an hour, wind started blowing from the north and must have blew my scent right in there faces, didnt see them again.

At the end of my hunt I walked down to the primitive boat launch to get one last push with the wind in my face. Didnt see any hogs, but I did come across 3-4 guys that had set up camp 150 yards or so, east of the boat launch, right on the river. I didnt think you could camp just anywhere out there? These guys had a fire going, couple of tents, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                            These guys had a fire going, couple of tents, etc.
                            Not supposed to. Call the Corp office or Johnny at the hunter check station. You can imagine the fire danger out there if anything got going good. Across the river in the primitive campsite is fine.

Comment

any news yet?

Dirty Mike sent me a text when I asked if it was getting cold and windy out there yet, "hogs everywhere. one got fried, now bullsigting"

I think that means hogs everywhere, one down and watching bulls...

Comment

I might have to go out on the Granger Ranger Remedial Hunt since I was not prepared for the whole weekend....

Comment

Working...
                                X