Water trough algae killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year or so ago someone posted here about stuff you can put in the horse/goat/dog water trough that will keep the greenies away but is NOT harmful to the pets. I have a 40 gallon one I’d like to keep clean. Anyone remember or know what the stuff was/is? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a couple gold fish in there.

Comment

Will they survive in the heat and murky water? How about some carp, same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what we used growing up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24543090

Comment

Tilapia eat algae as well.

Comment

We used to put goldfish in our cattle water troughs. If you lose a couple, just buy a few more, they're not expensive.

Comment

I have goldfish in my water trough and they do a good job of keeping it clean. Been in there 3 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                This is what we used growing up.

[ATTACH]912248[/ATTACH]
                That stuff is good for all kinds of things. We used to put it on bird dog's feet to toughen up their pads. I don't know how much it helped, but they sure looked fast with blue feet!

Comment

I put some gold fish in a small metal tank I have in Houston. They have survived the freezes, the heat, and me not ever feeding them.

They are like $.05 a piece.

Comment

Put some silver in it - silver dollars, silverware, bars, etc... It'll keep the water clear and clean. Copper works too.

Comment

Barley Hay..

Comment

goldfish, minnows, copper wire

These are all cheap and help with algae.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                          I have goldfish in my water trough and they do a good job of keeping it clean. Been in there 3 years now.
                          Seriously? I have an 'antique' (built in 1907) cement water trough - probably 8 feet x 16 feet. I have a float valve to keep water in it for the cows and donkeys, but the water gets pretty nasty with junk growing in it in the summer.
                          There is no circulation of the water and I won't add any kind of 'food'. But you guys are saying goldfish will survive and help clean up the trough???
                          That would be great (although my dumb animals don't seem to mind the nastiness of the water).
                          Will regular, old 'store bought' goldfish do the trick? Will they grow to be the size of those you see in ornamental ponds?

Comment

Yep gold fish, minnows, coy will keep it clean

Comment

I always thought people put the goldfish in there for the bugs. I had no idea they ate the algae.

Comment

Working...
                              X