Any wood workers out there???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any wood workers out there???

Was trying to get my wife's business logo cut out of a nice wood to hang in her showroom. Just looking to do the feather and roots in wood and the name in metal.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll try to add photo of her logo.
    Attached Files

Nice logo and would look great in wood.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      Nice logo and would look great in wood.
      Thanks!

Comment

Come on guys! Lol

Comment

Olive Wood would make that logo look real nice. I turn wood so can't help you but working with Olive wood a lot and that would look great.

Comment

Find a CNC machine. A nightmare to cut that out any other way.
            Nice logo!

Comment

I could do the feather and roots on a scroll saw but the name would be up to somebody with a plasma cutter. A nice piece of cedar would look good as well.

Comment

Wood selection will be very important on this. The roots and parts of the feather look they would break off very easily. Any of the soft woods should be ruled out from the start and even on the harder wood grain pattern should be taken into consideration.

Comment

That is going to be very hard to keep from braking, even while carving ( cutting ) it out. Lazer etched into a piece of wood would be far more durable. But not as good looking. The roots will be very very fragile no matter what wood you try. I can guaranty I would snap them just trying to cut them out. Even using a jewelers saw. And just the lightest bump will wreak them. I don't know if a laser etching place could actually laser cut through through a solid piece or not, but you might contact someone that does, and ask. But I totally agree will look great.
                  Last edited by critter69; 06-07-2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

I figured the roots might be a problem. Might be easier just to do it out of metal

Comment

Originally posted by Kooter80 View Post
                      I figured the roots might be a problem. Might be easier just to do it out of metal
                      If you want it to look like wood, have two separate pieces cut, out of metal, and then have the feather and roots hydro-dipped.

I agree. Even with a CNC router, those roots would be very fragile.

Comment

How large?? The bigger you go, the less chance the roots will break. Few more ideas.

1. Carve it into a plank
                        2. Do it outta metal and hydro dip a wood grain pattern on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                          If you want it to look like wood, have two separate pieces cut, out of metal, and then have the feather and roots hydro-dipped.

I agree. Even with a CNC router, those roots would be very fragile.
                          got to agree with this guy!.........again.

Comment

Didn’t think about the dip. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Another option would be to face the back side of the wood with something before cutting it out. You could use fiberglass cloth and resin but it will be hell on saw blades. Very thin sheet metal would also back it well.

Comment

Working...
                              X