DIY Safety lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Safety lines

Looking for recommendations for bulk line to make my own safety lines. Any help is appreciated.

For what use??

Comment

I looked into all of that, cheaper to buy pre made ones in my case

Watched no caught a sale at HSS and got enough to last me several years

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        I looked into all of that, cheaper to buy pre made ones in my case

Watched no caught a sale at HSS and got enough to last me several years
        Exactly what I found out and did. Plus I take all mine out of the woods when season is over

Comment

Agreed. Go buy them, much cheaper than a wheelchair.

Comment

I paid around $160 for 200’ of 1/2” black double braid 8000# static line and 40’ of 5/16” kermantle 3100# prusik rope. It made 7 life lines 28-30’ each.

Fall protection should be rated for 5000#, the prusik rope is doubled so it’s good for 6200#. The reason for the 5000# rating is for the impact shock load from a fall, but with a static life line and a prusik knot, the fall will be a short distance and the impact force will be way less, compared to falling into a 6’ lanyard or other fall protection epuiment.

I came in about $80 cheaper than buying 7 HSS life lines, however they each come with a caribiner and cowbell. I use the same caribiner and keep it on my HSS harness tether.

Helpful video

Last edited by Hix; 06-03-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
              I paid around $160 for 200’ of 1/2” black double braid 8000# static line and 40’ of 5/16” kermantle 3100# prusik rope. It made 7 life lines 28-30’ each.

Fall protection should be rated for 5000#, the prusik rope is doubled so it’s good for 6200#. The reason for the 5000# rating is for the impact shock load from a fall, but with a static life line and a prusik knot, the fall will be a short distance and the impact force will be way less, compared to falling into a 6’ lanyard or other fall protection epuiment.

I came in about $80 cheaper than buying 7 HSS life lines, however they each come with a caribiner and cowbell. I use the same caribiner and keep it on my HSS harness tether.

Helpful video

https://youtu.be/_RaVX8u1Bas

There is no way I would trust an overhand knot, in any situation. The proper way to do a prusik is with a double fisherman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree that’s a better knot, the HSS prusiks are a dbl overhand knot as well though.

Comment

Working...
                X