Christensen Carbon Barrel Reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christensen Carbon Barrel Reviews?

Anyone have experience with a Christensen carbon fiber barrel?

Looking at possibly building a custom 300WM with one.

Read some bad reviews of them being inaccurate but they mostly seem to be older reviews on various websites. Haven't found any recent reviews on them.

Price point is much better than the Proof or Hardy and they come with the muzzle threaded.

I'm not opposed to shelling out the coin for a Proof, but don't see the need to pay extra for the name if I am not gaining anything in quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You get what you pay for. I’ve seen very few of their rifles with their barrels that shot very well. Some of them are hammers. But it’s a big gamble. Go with something proven. Stop being cheap. proof gets my vote. I know what they can do....

Comment

I guess I got lucky because I have a 6.5 that is a shooter. I did the proper break in like they suggested and it shoots great. No complaints here. I have also owned a proof barrel and don’t have anything bad to say about them either.

Comment

I have a .257 STW that is true 1/4 MOA. I would go with Proof now, but don’t even think they were a player when the STW was built.

Comment

Just my opinion ... if building a $3000+ rifle that you want ultimate confidence in, why even worry about saving $200-400 ?

I've seen quite a few times where someone builds a custom rifle and tries to save a few dollars by using inferior stocks, triggers, and barrels. They may even choose gunsmith A because his price is $75 cheaper than gunsmith B. Then after spending thousands on their "dream rifle", they're disappointed because the fit and finish is just "okay" and the rifle will not group according to their expectations.

I encourage everyone who wants to build a custom rifle to do extensive research on the products available. Call a minimum of 3 GS's to discuss your project and components. Take notes and write down everything. Do NOT select a GS solely based on geography.

If I had to choose from a PROOF, Hardy, or CA barrel, CA would be my last choice.
          Last edited by Cajun Blake; 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            Just my opinion ... if building a $3000+ rifle that you want ultimate confidence in, why even worry about saving $200-400 ?

I've seen quite a few times where someone builds a custom rifle and tries to save a few dollars by using inferior stocks, triggers, and barrels. They may even choose gunsmith A because his price is $75 cheaper than gunsmith B. Then after spending thousands on their "dream rifle", they're disappointed because the fit and finish is just "okay" and the rifle will not group according to their expectations.

I encourage everyone who wants to build a custom rifle to do extensive research on the products available. Call a minimum of 3 GS's to discuss your project and components. Take notes and write down everything. Do NOT select a GS solely based on geography.

If I had to choose from a PROOF, Hardy, or CA barrel, CA would be my last choice.
            Blake thank you for the input as always!

It's not so much about the money as it is about making sure I am not paying for the name Proof. When other manufacturers are offering similar barrels for $200-$300 less it begs the question are they inferior or is Proof just better? I have also been looking at Carbon 6 barrels.

Then I read on PRB about a field test Cal Zant did for Volume 2 of modern advancement in long range shooting comparing CA and Proof barrels to various steel barrels. If I remember correctly the CA was marginally more accurate. That was really what got me looking at the CA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I would rather have a benchrest gunsmith build me a mountain rig with a traditional taper tube vs the ultra thin pencil & CF outer shell myself.

I've consigned a couple of those CA guns & guess I'm more traditional & just can't get into them for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                I think I would rather have a benchrest gunsmith build me a mountain rig with a traditional taper tube vs the ultra thin pencil & CF outer shell myself.

I've consigned a couple of those CA guns & guess I'm more traditional & just can't get into them for some reason.
                winner, winner chicken dinner

Benchrest GS and a #4 fluted _________ (Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, HART, PacNor, Brux, Broughton, etc .... )
                would be my choice as well

.17 Little Nasty cartridge
                40x action, single shot
                22" Lilja #4 fluted
                McM stock pillar and glass bedded
                Jewell trigger 12 ozs.
                Davidson base/Kelbly rings

Comment

I have a Christensen carbon fiber that is a 1/2 moa rifle pretty easy. I'm happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X