No announcement yet.

Gun Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run hopped #9. I patch then brush followed by a dry patch. Then I run a bore snake and last a oil patch. I used to be obsessive about gun cleaning but now I keep my cleanings rather quick and simple. Now if we are talking About a 2500.00 custom match rifle, I would be much more attentive and use more modern solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
      I run hopped #9. I patch then brush followed by a dry patch. Then I run a bore snake and last a oil patch. I used to be obsessive about gun cleaning but now I keep my cleanings rather quick and simple. Now if we are talking About a 2500.00 custom match rifle, I would be much more attentive and use more modern solutions.
      I hear yeah, I’m not really sure how many rounds I have through this rifle but would just shoot it at game for most of the time I’ve had it (maybe five rounds a year). But recently after about twenty years, accuracy has started to drop off. Wanting to get it back right it’s a model 70. Nicest rifle I own, need to get it back to new to nice not too. Wish I would of done more preventative maintenance so wouldn’t be suffering now.

Comment

I use Bore Tech one piece cleaning rods and solvents. Also an o-ring bore guide for each caliber rifle. My daughter-in-law has a new custom .260 that I clean and maintain for her. Don't want to mess that rifle up so I started using the Bore Tech products as recommended for her new rifle. I've used the products on my own and my son's rifles and the results have been very good. I'm retired so I get to clean everyone's guns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BoreTech.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	24535332

Comment

I’ve used Remoil for as long as I can remember. My Beretta Neos has well over 1k rounds put through it and it is just as tight, accurate, and smooth as it was when it was new. Got around 800 rounds down range in my Keltec PF9 and besides some surface pitting from pocket carrying it for 5 years it does great too. I know there are better cleaners out there, but Remoil has always worked great so why change?

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
            I honestly don't know what it is but I've got a gallon jug of something or other that my great grand father used on his. A single drop in the barrel and then a copper brush ran through four or five times. Run a patch though it once, then new patch, then run through over and over again until the patch comes out clean and dry. That stuff great grand daddy used is thick and smells a lot like diesel mixed with kerosene. Been using it for close to 40 years.

More than likely it's an Ed's Red homebrew. There are a couple of different recipes for it.

Comment

Foaming bore cleaners are where it's at. Especially for copper fouling removal. After the foaming bore cleaner, I'll use Butch's Bore Shine.

LWD

Comment

Guys guys guys, everyone is complaining in one post about not buying the latest greatest whiz bang. To clean your rifle or shotgun, use the brush till you fill no resistance with copper cleaner and barrel cleaner. Then run a patch through on a plug till clean. Boom done.

For better explanation watch this guy he is the most well thought out guy on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZZOE_pzjLA

Comment

I'm not entirely sold on the foaming bore cleaners. I tried Wipe Out and it did OK on the copper, but was lacking in removing the powder fouling. I could run a brush with Hoppe's on it after the Wipe Out and the subsequent patches would still come out black. I'll admit, I wasn't using the accelerator and that may have been the problem.

I run a wet patch of Hoppe's through the bore and let it soak for about 30 minutes. Then I run an plastic bristle brush several times followed by dry patches. The, it's on to the JB Bore to really get after the powder fouling followed by a wet patch or two to swab out the bore and then dry patches.

I am going back to the Sweet's 7.62 cleaner. It beats Hoppe's hands down. I've just about used up all of my Hoppe's anyway.

I use a couple of Possum Hollow bore guides. I have one for my CZ 527 in .223 and one for my 1885 Single Shot. I also have a couple of the MTM bore guides, but not really pleased with them. I'm going to replace them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    I'm not entirely sold on the foaming bore cleaners. I tried Wipe Out and it did OK on the copper, but was lacking in removing the powder fouling. I could run a brush with Hoppe's on it after the Wipe Out and the subsequent patches would still come out black. I'll admit, I wasn't using the accelerator and that may have been the problem.

I run a wet patch of Hoppe's through the bore and let it soak for about 30 minutes. Then I run an plastic bristle brush several times followed by dry patches. The, it's on to the JB Bore to really get after the powder fouling followed by a wet patch or two to swab out the bore and then dry patches.

I am going back to the Sweet's 7.62 cleaner. It beats Hoppe's hands down. I've just about used up all of my Hoppe's anyway.

I use a couple of Possum Hollow bore guides. I have one for my CZ 527 in .223 and one for my 1885 Single Shot. I also have a couple of the MTM bore guides, but not really pleased with them. I'm going to replace them as well.
                    Finally somebody that speaks my language. Before I use sweets I wanted to try to get all the powder residue out first, but I guess sweets takes care of both.

Comment

I switched to foamers when the top shooters in both long & short range were winning with this method...it tells me all I need to know.

One thing to remember is that squeaky clean isn't necessary to maintain accuracy potential of the gun. Sweets & bore paste has their place if you have a neglected bbl, but once it's clean the foaming or regular methods with rods will easily maintain most barrels.

You should not use a brass brush with sweets...all the green seen on the patch will be from eating up the bristles. When using the paste for a throat that has caked on power crud, I like an undersized brush wrapped with OOOO steel wool.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        I switched to foamers when the top shooters in both long & short range were winning with this method...it tells me all I need to know.

One thing to remember is that squeaky clean isn't necessary to maintain accuracy potential of the gun. Sweets & bore paste has their place if you have a neglected bbl, but once it's clean the foaming or regular methods with rods will easily maintain most barrels.

You should not use a brass brush with sweets...all the green seen on the patch will be from eating up the bristles. When using the paste for a throat that has caked on power crud, I like an undersized brush wrapped with OOOO steel wool.
                        Thanks arto, I wasn’t planning on using a brush with sweets at all. If I did I think it has to be nylon. Not sure what paste is?

Comment

Here ya go...JB is the most popular (or used to be)

Bore paste is good stuff when you have caked on crud/powder usually found near the throat. Most will get an undersized bronzed brush & then wrap a patch to where it's a little snug but free enough to scrub back and forth with paste added. I prefer oooo steel wool.

If you have a highly fouled bore, then the combo of bore paste & aggressive copper cleaner like sweets is the ticket...once that is achieved, your regular cleaning method should maintain. The foamers are just so much easier.

Don't panic if your new squeaky bore shots ugly groups out of the gates...many guns need to settle in with a few fouling shots. Again, getting the bore super clean after every outing isn't needed in most cases. Let the paper tell you how vigorously you need to clean.

Originally posted by Ruggedhunts45 View Post
                          Thanks arto, I wasn’t planning on using a brush with sweets at all. If I did I think it has to be nylon. Not sure what paste is?

Comment

Working...
                          X