Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kids and Go-Karts : How many grew up on one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids and Go-Karts : How many grew up on one?

When we were kids all the neighbors had go carts and we would run the wheels off of them. So after my boy mastered his suped up power wheels (6v truck running 24v) I thought it was time. I built him this hand me down and geared it WAY down. I have to sit on top of the seat to ride it, but when I do it will pull the front tires off the ground when I take off.

Cass is almost 4 and Jolie is 2-1/2 and the will ride this thing all day if I let them. Making memories they'll never forget.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065245.581854.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	25060631Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065270.833170.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	25060632Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065306.831023.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	25060633

He even gives his older brother a rideClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065338.428658.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	25060634

At wide open throttle this thing is a brisk walk. Maybe 4mph, but he thinks he's Mario Andretti

Yessir, great times. Ours had a roll cage also (thankfully ). My dad told me stories of when he was a kid and his go kart didn't have any brakes for a while. He had a big log that would ride in the shotgun seat and was tied on to the go cart with a 8' piece of rope. When it was time to stop he would push it out let it slow him to a stop..

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
      Yessir, great times. Ours had a roll cage also (thankfully ). My dad told me stories of when he was a kid and his go kart didn't have any brakes for a while. He had a big log that would ride in the shotgun seat and was tied on to the go cart with a 8' piece of rope. When it was time to stop he would push it out let it slow him to a stop..

The world would have to cant for this thing to flip. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065867.245359.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	24391605

Mucho geared down

Comment

Looks like it! I wasn't implying you needed a roll cage, just saying my brothers and I did with the way we rode that thing. We were a good bit older also

Comment

kids having a good time!

we did too growing up. between horses, dirtbikes, 3 wheelers and go carts, we had a good time. it was by the Grace of God we didn't end up more injured than we did.

Comment

I had one similar to that when i was young. It was my mom's when she was a kid and was bought used back then, probably in the mid/late 60's. Dad rebuilt it with a new motor and it would fly. They put it up until i was 7 or so cause it was too fast. I learned to weld with it because i would rip the rear axle off from catching a Christmas tree stump (grandparents had a blueberry and Christmas tree farm in GA). The non-drive rear wheel stuck out farther than the drive wheel. I once caught that wheel on a young tree and it spun me in circles til the tree gave out and flipped me over. Had me pinned for a bit but managed to get out. It had a curved roll bar behind my head that kept me from breaking my neck. When starting it with a choke you had to yank the cord and jump on the back to get in because it would hole shot out of there without you. Then you had to let the choke off before sitting down while making sure you weren't about to hit something. Pretty sure that thing was the jump start reason to my attention to detail. good times!

Comment

We had one as kids and my kids had one. We just sold it to another TBH'er for his kids.

Comment

Good times...that is the kind we had.

These (Yerf Dogs) WILL flip....not that fast but they will flip.

This was right after we got it (circa 2006). We added gun rack, lights, and fenders.

Name:	nick-gnm-gokart1.JPG
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	24391609

Then we got into a frame off rebuild of this...

Name:	washing-1.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	24391612

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	24391611

Now it is all dodge diesel all the time...

Wouldn't have it any other way....'cept for the dodge part (insert FORD).
                Attached Files

Comment

By the look on his face and the story he tells his friends I bet he is not doing a brisk walk more like 120 125 MPH

Good job letting your kids be a kid

Comment

Had one with 2 McColough (SP) chain saw motors on it. Me and my friends tore up the neighborhood.

Comment

Had a two seater ordered out of the Sears catalog. Younger brother and I were hell on wheels. Good memories!

Comment

Precious memories tearing up the neighborhood and having the cranky old lady down the street sick her dogs n me when she wasn't calling the constable.

Love the pictures too... no helmet, flame retardant suit, hans device, roll cage or shoes for that matter... As it should be!

Comment

parents never would let me have one due to safety concerns - same reason they would not let me have a Jeep when I got my drivers license

Comment

I wore out 4 of them as a kid growing up. Great memories.

Comment

My boy is only a year and a half old but we are in training haha. Been keeping an eye out for something his size for when he is a couple years older.

Comment

Working...
                              X