Caprock mule deer hunt with a bonus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caprock mule deer hunt with a bonus!

This past week was Dustin (Dadust) and myself opportunity to hunt mule deer out around the Caprock. We are very fortunate to get to hunt this ranch because it is a true slice of heaven but it can also be humbling at times as we try to learn more about hunting mule deer. From the start we were seeing many more deer compared to last year with a few decent bucks and it seemed as if every doe was surrounded by twins so we were very optimistic on what to hold out for. These pics will not do it justice but I thought I would include a couple.

By day two or so we had narrowed it down to a few areas that seemed to be holding several more deer than other areas so this is where we spent most of our time. Tuesday evening I saw what appeared to be a good buck running a doe on a adjacent field about a half mile away and immediately went to get a better look. About 30 minutes later I was within shooting range of what was a decent buck but I noticed movement down in the draw below the field and saw what I thought was possibly the biggest pig I had ever seen. Well I quickly realized it was not a pig but a aoudad and the sneak was on. After about 75-100 yards I was within range and boom! My first aoudad was down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418135414.684389.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	25040099
    Not one of the true giants for this area but at 28" I couldn't be happier. I also was absolutely amazed at the size of these animals this one was easily 300+ lbs.
    The morning of day three Dustin put the sneak on a shooter but still having plenty of time decided to hold out but I am fairly certain he was second guessing that decision the rest of the day. I am going to say it was probably a good decision. Day four we were running a bit late getting to our areas we were hunting due to trying to get some of our work done during the day and as I arrived there were already deer in the field so I walked around the perimeter of the field to sneak to my spot and on my way came across a good buck locked down with a doe. I probably could have actually got into bow range of this buck because the doe didn't know what to do and he was not about to leave with out her. After getting within range and waiting on the shot my buck was down. It was actually the buck I let walk a couple nights before but **** did he look big at 70 or so yards.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418136507.396355.jpg
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	25040100
    Day five Dustin was hunting the same area he let the buck walk but "unfortunately" this area has a neighbor that loves to drive the fence line hoping to push deer from our wheat field on to his property 3-4 times in a hunt and this evening was no different. He actually pushed a big buck out of the field while I was hunting last year. Well karma worked for Dustin because they actually pushed a great buck from there property straight to him. I believe the text read "big buck 1/2 mile out and closing" the follow up text read "big buck down" oh and the neighbors got to watch!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418137240.656759.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	25040101
    So it turned out to be one hell of a week and I don't think Dustin or I will ever forget it. We work our butts off to get access to this place but man is it worth it!

Wow, those are some great animals... Really like the Aoudad.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

What a hunt! Im a little jealous, not going to lie. Congrats

Comment

Wow. Congrats

Comment

Ranch pics didn't load so I will try again.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418137971.611732.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	24350604Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418137989.514497.jpg
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	24350605Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418138011.650412.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	24350606

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!!!

Comment

Great trophies. Congrats.

Comment

Wow beautiful animals!! Man neighbors like that just have to make you laugh.

Comment

Wow! Y'all did great! Congrats!

Comment

What an awesome hunt!

Comment

That is awesome. Glad the neighbor got what was coming to him!

Comment

Great animals! Congrats!

Comment

Well done!! Great trophies and great country!

Comment

Those are some awesome trophies! Congrats to you both! I love the mass on Dustin's buck. I also love that the fence-driving neighbor got to watch him go down.

Comment

Working...
                              X