Bro's quad trailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bro's quad trailer build

My brother and hunting partner just began to build his quad trailer to match the one I made a couple years back. This will allow us to fill feeders out West with just the quads and not have to haul the big ranger and trailer to do the task. Like I did, he will use the harbor freight trailer as the skeleton for his build. He found one on CL for dirt cheap that had been modified for a kayak hauler.

My trailer:

His starting point:

The original owner mounted the leaf springs on backwards:

He soon got that fixed and got it all welded up instead of bolted together as well as some floor stiffners added:

He also picked up a set of Honda rims to fit the conversion spacer hubs he just ordered:

Won't be long now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really wanting to build a little trailer like this. Do you think starting with the Harbor Freight trailer is a big advantage over just starting from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
      I am really wanting to build a little trailer like this. Do you think starting with the Harbor Freight trailer is a big advantage over just starting from scratch?

Much cheaper as the axel, hitch, and springs will cost you more if bought outright than the whole kit...

Comment

Thanks for the info Black Gold. Will have to keep the next 20% off coupon that comes in the mail and give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
          You can find the HF trailers used all over the place. I bought one that was new in the box for about half price. Guy bought it, opened the box, and said it looked too hard to put together lol.
          I see them all the time on facebook marketplace ads.

Also, you can find jet ski or small boat trailers for cheap too

Comment

A lot of folks that convert the HF trailers to kayak trailers install the springs upside down to give more clearance. I saw your build earlier and I now looking for a cheap HF trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
              A lot of folks that convert the HF trailers to kayak trailers install the springs upside down to give more clearance. I saw your build earlier and I now looking for a cheap HF trailer.

The issue is not what side of the springs the axel is on, but that the springs were mounted rear slip side facing the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                The issue is not what side of the springs the axel is on, but that the springs were mounted rear slip side facing the front.

I was just about to ask, I thought this was the reason you said "backwards" but really couldn't tell on my phone. Yours is a nice looking little rig. In for the pics of his finished

Comment

What is the link to order the spacer conversation hubs..

I have that trailer and would like to redo it.

Comment

Here's the one for the 4:110 quad wheels. If you order another spacing make sure you get the spacers that are 2" thick and not the 1" ones.

Comment

Is there a advantage for using quad tires? I can see if you are in an area with really boggy mud, but the tire that come with the trailer seems ok. I did one few years ago and just used the tire that came with it and it has been fine. In fact I don't think they pick up thorns as bad. I am hunting the Childress are and we have some really slick mud and They don't throw mud as bad as the ATV. Only pic I can find at the moment
                      Attached Files

Comment

ATV tires = weight distribution and super smooth ride ...... benefits of running tires with 7-10 pounds of pressure vs much higher on standard tires. I have 6 ply tires with slime and in Terrell County run thru some of the nastiest thorns and dog pear cactus and have had zero flats.
                        We are out there hunting for a week so the benefits of my quad and trailer utilizing the same spare are valuable to me as well. Worst comes to worse, I have 7 tires/rims for my quad....

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                          What is the link to order the spacer conversation hubs..

I have that trailer and would like to redo it.
                          Maybe this link will work:

Comment

I like that. I really enjoyed your original thread thread when you built the first one. I almost went the harbor freight route. Found a deal at lowes so bought one there. Cool build.

Comment

Following this one Cody....

Comment

Working...
                              X