"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Here is where we are now for the new season. There are a couple things posted that are in the works or at least offered. A caming/fishing trip to meet some new people, scout some new areas and do some campin and fishing. Some possible dates suggested are any weekend in June. I can tell you the weekend of the 26th is out for me. The wife's B-day and I need to celebrate with her.
    Jody has asked for some GPS apps for his phone.
    I have compass, Maverick, My tracks, Trekbuddy, crowsflight, latitude, backcountry, GPS compass, GPS capture, and GPS essentials. Those are used for checking satallites, strength of signal, and for general mapping. As for actually using it like a GPS. I think the Maverick, Crowsflight, My Tracks and Trekbuddy would be what your wanting.

Well I just spent the last 3 hours (few breaks in between) reading the complete 2010 SHNF forest thread. Was awsome to see 2 double doe kills as well as bad karma and bucksmashers nice bucks! I just let me lease go and will be focusing on SHNF this upcoming season. I have hunted it before...just the east side. Never saw or heard a thing in 2 those seasons. But having been on an East Tx lease the past 6 years....Ive learned a lot. Ready to apply my east tx hunting skills to SHNF. Hope to be a regular on this new 2011 thread.

Comment

I'm in as well. Damian, thanks for the gps apps as I will check a few out.

Drove down 2025 again today between Coldspring and Cleveland and would really like some scouting help if anyone else hunts that area. Looking forward to an awesome season!

Comment

I don't hunt that area, but I am willing to tag along and offer some help. I am probably going to start scouting here in the next couple weeks and I will probably scout it every other weekend until the season starts.....that is if I can. I am excited about this years season. I have gathered more information and I think I am getting closer and closer to getting on a buck.

Comment

I just pulled out my old GPS and found the pond on the east side I used to hunt. When I look on google earth...its obvisouly in SHNF. When I look in the TP&W book...its iffy if its in the shaded hunting area? How do I find out for sure this pond is still huntable? Can I send the GPS coordinates to a game warden?

Comment

I would give it a shot. Better finding out now than during huniting season and I think GW's would respond. You might also wan to take a lokk @ it. I have found that most private land is posted now. Good luck!

Comment

gdawg
              Chances are if that pond was in SHNF when you hunted it before it still is. As far as I know the SHNF has grown alittle over the years. I'm not aware of any land being sold but I may be wrong. Do alittle leg work and check it out .

Comment

Damian i will try again this year. would love to meet up with you for some scouting if you are up to it. i just found this thread and was already planning a camping, canoe, scouting, pig hunting, bowfishing, frog shooting, not getting chewed out by my ole lady trip in July. Unless things change hunting water will be the way to go this year.

Comment

If yall are going to do some scouting in July....im in.

Comment

Definately gonna happen. I am going to do more scouting this year and I have some ideas about getting on a buck.

Comment

I'm gonna go for a couple of hours tomorrow. Close to Cleveland.

Comment

Let us know how it goes Bone.

Comment

any one up for a canoe/scouting/fowfishing trip 7-9 and/or 10th?

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                            Let us know how it goes Bone.
                            Will do after I get over there. Would have been a great afternoon for it, however, sitter had to work a double shift and I didn't want to have my five year old out there in case the rain started up again.

Comment

I will be hunting the SHNF this year, but I will be around the Stubblefield and Richards area. I will be starting my scouting around the middle of August or the first of September.

I will also be following along on this tread.

Good luck to everyone and have a safe and rewarding season.

Comment

Working...
                              X