No announcement yet.

South African PH Indicted by USFWS for Illegal Elephant Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie, I sent an email yesterday. [emoji106] I'm wondering if I missed something earlier from them. Really burns me when crappy stuff happens that makes folks in the hunting lifestyle look horrible!🤨

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
      I’m with the majority here, I don’t agreee with what’s happening but I don’t like the US FWS going after people elsewhere. Govt shouldn’t be the worlds police.
      Look up the Lacy Act. That is the prosecutorial avenue.

Comment

No doubt they can prosecute under the Lacey Act, but still wondering how they physically get hold of the guy if he is indeed a foreign citizen and stays out of the U.S. I would suppose it would come down to whether we have an extradition agreement with that country.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
          I’m with the majority here, I don’t agreee with what’s happening but I don’t like the US FWS going after people elsewhere. Govt shouldn’t be the worlds police.
          Agree 100%. It's a waste of our time and money.

Comment

NOT DIRECTLY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PH BUT THERE IS DEFINITELY A INTERNATIONAL COALITION INVOLVED WITH WILDLIFE VIOLATIONS!!!

Global Crackdown On Illegal Wildlife Trade Heralded A Resounding Success
            Jul 04, 2018

International cooperation in Operation Thunderstorm yielded “spectacular results,” according to Sheldon Jordan, Canada’s director general of wildlife enforcement.
            Thousands of live animals, tons of contraband meat, including bear. elephant, crocodile, whale and zebra, and animal parts were part of the goods seized in the month-long operation.
            Operation Thunderstorm identified 1,400 suspects, including two flight attendants who have been charged with smuggling protected species after live spotted turtles were confiscated from their personal luggage.
            Jordan acknowledged the extent of the problem, saying global wildlife crime is worth about $150 billion annually, following only the illegal drug trade, counterfeiting and human trafficking.
            “The operation,” Interpol Secretary General Juergen Stock said in an AP News report, “showed that wildlife traffickers use the same routes as other criminals, often hand-in-hand with tax evasion, corruption, money laundering and violent crime.”
            Criminal syndicates that smuggle flora and fauna often take advantage of porous borders and corrupt officials, transporting illicit cargo at an industrial scale.

Comment

The guy is marketing and selling illegal hunts in the US to US citizens.
              Guys like this are part of the reason hunting, especially exotics and especially African exotics, has a bad name.
              I'm not a big government guy either, but it's not like USFWS took a trip to Africa and is trying to enforce laws on their soil. If some guy in Albania scammed my grandma on the internet I wouldn't want the law to give him a pass because he lives in Europe.
              Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                The guy is marketing and selling illegal hunts in the US to US citizens.
                Guys like this are part of the reason hunting, especially exotics and especially African exotics, has a bad name.
                I'm not a big government guy either, but it's not like USFWS took a trip to Africa and is trying to enforce laws on their soil. If some guy in Albania scammed my grandma on the internet I wouldn't want the law to give him a pass because he lives in Europe.

Giving him a pass and having a legal authority to do something is two different things. The internet is world wide, our laws are not

Comment

Working...
                X