Small business lawyers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small business lawyers?

Any lawyers that deal with how to set up a small business llc or dba partnerships? Wife and her friend are wanting to start a business and don't really know what direction to go right now. Thanks

Up

Comment

Pm sent

kronik by Diamond

Comment

What type of business are they wanting to start?
        Go to Legal zoom to setup an LLC, really easy and way cheaper than a Lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go to a CPA, they do them and it'll be cheaper than a lawyer. It'll probably run $800-$1,300 at the CPA. The longest part is when they do a name search to make sure the company name you want isn't already taken by somebody in Texas. That might take a day or 2 depending on how busy the CPA is.

Comment

lawyer is not needed,, i bought a packet from office depot easy done. cost maybe 20 bucks state and cpa both said is was perfect

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
              lawyer is not needed,, i bought a packet from office depot easy done. cost maybe 20 bucks state and cpa both said is was perfect
              When you say packet, is it all the necessary forms that get filed??

Comment

You can do it yourself at the tax office. File a certificate of formation for a joint partnership. If you want to LLC you will need to file the 'assumed name' with the Secretary of State.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  When you say packet, is it all the necessary forms that get filed??
                  yes everything was in the packet with easy directions,,,

Comment

If they are wanting it for any reason other than just to say they have a LLC (such as liability protection), then I strongly disagree with all of the other comments. If it is not done right, you might not get any liability protection out of it. There are several lawyers on here that handle business formations, and I’m sure one of them will be along soon. The cost could be well worth it in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                      Just go to a CPA, they do them and it'll be cheaper than a lawyer. It'll probably run $800-$1,300 at the CPA. The longest part is when they do a name search to make sure the company name you want isn't already taken by somebody in Texas. That might take a day or 2 depending on how busy the CPA is.

I didnt realize that.

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                      If they are wanting it for any reason other than just to say they have a LLC (such as liability protection), then I strongly disagree with all of the other comments. If it is not done right, you might not get any liability protection out of it. There are several lawyers on here that handle business formations, and I’m sure one of them will be along soon. The cost could be well worth it in the long run.
                      This is my main concern ( not trying to hijack ), I need to change to a LLC. Currently SP but need to insulate my personal assets from lawsuit liability.

Comment

Most CPA’s will not do them. LLC’s are often set up for both tax and legal reasons but the process of actually setting up a legal entity with the state is generally something that attorneys do. Let the attorney set it up and advise you regarding the legal ramifications and then have the CPA advise you regarding the tax implications.

I would spend the $800 $-1,200 it will cost to use an attorney. The LLC will then be custom fit to your business needs. And you will have established a relationship with a trusted advisor that you can call if and when you ever need them.
                        Last edited by Plain Lucky; 04-29-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Well thanks for the information folks. They need it for protection also they may need advice on what all they need to legally start the business. They are trying to open a small spa to do eye lashes, facials, microderm abrasion and so on.

Comment

I'd suggest they talk to a CPA first to discuss the tax and business aspects of what they are going to do. That will get them going toward what they will want as a business entity. Then they can talk to a lawyer about forming that and alternatives that might be legally better and the related documents. You never do anything purely for legal, business, or tax reasons; a consideration of all three will drive the decisions.

When there's more than one person, you want an operating agreement, buy-sell agreement, or similar document. Nobody ever thinks about the business's ending or what happens when one person wants out and the other doesn't. The time to deal with that is going in; not when it's splitting up Basically, it's a business prenup.

LWD

Comment

Yes they have talked about the operating agreement in case things go south

Comment

Working...
                              X