Black Panthers are actually jaguarundi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Panthers are actually jaguarundi?

Sorry if this has already been covered! Saw an article on this saying that several jaguarundi were relocated to the Bastrop area years ago. They think the black panther sightings in Texas are these animals which were relocated from a whitetail ranch in south Tx. It goes on to say that they have a really long tail and dark fur making them look larger at a distance. They were relocated as they are a protected species in Tx. The Whitetail and quail don't like em

I doubt it. They are one of the rarest animals in Texas. Basically extinct from the state. I believe that relocation (if it actually happened) was decades ago. I highly doubt a breeding population ever established and if it did TPWD would have known about it.

Also, still wouldn't explain how the black panther population in East Texas continues to explode.

Comment

Information about the Jaguarundi (Herpailurus yaguarondi), a species found in the State of Texas

Comment

I saw that too. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's the article link I hope https://texashillcountry.com/

Comment

I don't think the yaupon in Bastrop is thick enough for jaguarundi's to even be a good fit for relocation let alone it's listed status.

Comment

Dang that takes you to the website here's the article title: Jaguarundis: Is the Mystery of the Texas Black Panther Sightings Finally Solved?

Comment

couple of interesting notes from the article:

There are also small native populations of these cats in south Texas.

As the locals of Delhi, Texas, reported in the mid-1980s, several jaguarundis were relocated to Bastrop and Caldwell counties from a large game ranch in south Texas. Apparently, the cats were disruptive to the large white-tail deer and quail that the game ranch contained. Since the jaguarundis were a protected species, they were trapped and brought north and released. Over the years many sightings have been reported of “black panthers” across the two counties. According to a few Delhi residents, these people aren’t seeing “panthers,” but rather, jaguarundis.

Comment

We seen 3-5 of these cool little animals a year down at our bay house on Baffin. They have been around the area since we bought the house. You can watch them for a few minutes at a time eating after we breast dove or ducks. That head and body sure makes them look like God played a joke on them but they are pretty neat to watch.

Comment

See if this works:

Jaguarundis are the covert cats of south Texas, but could a small population of them in central Texas explain the long-standing legend of black panthers roaming the Hill Country and surrounding areas?

Comment

We have one on our place in Colorado County. Seen it twice

Comment

I find it odd that TPWD would relocate a protected species out of its natural habitat because they were "disruptive to the whitetail and quail". Federal law would kind of frown on that, I'd think. I think it is more likely that the citizens of Delhi, referenced in the article, have begun making and using meth and simply make things up or remember them differently. Some of them have probably even been "probed" by aliens and once almost got a picture of bigfoot.

Comment

there are black jaguars but not sure if they would survive here, they're favored more toward jungle/wet environments. If anyone cares....

Comment

I think due to the over-abundance of black panthers, most of the Jagaurundis will be eaten or have been eaten by the larger common black panthers.

Comment

So they were disruptive to the whitetail and quail, to they relocated them to disrupt whitetail and quail there? That’s logical

Comment

Working...
                              X